Thread: package transfer and instal

Beans

Smile package transfer and instal

hello,just installed ubuntu 10.04 ,i'm really new into it
    and i recently had a debian 5 dvd with full of packages inside,but the deal is how could i get the free package installed on my ubuntu machine

i tried decomenting the first line of source.list,but its just like the first line is that of the dvd with which i installed the OS,
    well later i run the command apt-cdrom add
    well they said no package found on the dvd
    so i'm trying to find a way out,but till now none

i'm just a beginner

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: package transfer and instal

Hi ck7,
    Have you run the Update Manager yet, to first see if there are security and application updates available for the installation you already have ?

If not, you may want to do that first. After that, you may also want to go ahead and upgrade the installation from 10.04 on through 10.10, possibly even on through 11.04 to the latest version, 11.10.

If you are new, you may as well begin working in at the current version.

If you do upgrade, you could use the Software Center to see if there are some applications to suit your needs and version. If you don't want to upgrade, perhaps you would consider looking through Synaptic Package Manager, to see if there are not some applications to suit your needs and version.

If these suggestions resolve your problem, please use the thread tools to mark the problem Solved.

If you need further assistance, report back for further input.

Good luck!
    Last edited by spacecheck; January 12th, 2012 at 09:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I think it's best if you stick to 10.04's repositories for now. The Debian 5 DVD packages may need older libraries to install and run properly.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    I think it's best if you stick to 10.04's repositories for now. The Debian 5 DVD packages may need older libraries to install and run properly.
    Considering ck7 is extremely new, obviously both to Ubuntu AND Debian, it would seem unnecessary for ck7 to retain 10.04 and related repository, because there is a high probability for any of the same free software (alleged to be on the old (2009) Debian 5 DVD, but not found) to also be available for free (possibly in a more recent version) from Software Center.

If these suggestions resolve the problem, please mark the thread as Solved.

Have fun!
    Last edited by spacecheck; January 13th, 2012 at 10:20 AM.