Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ubuntu, my nut.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: ubuntu, my nut.

Ok this may sound stupid, but is Nessus in your working directory.... Is it in your home folder or download folder.... if its download folder do as follows
    cd Downloads/
    that should get you into ur download folder, then try to run nessus
    sudo dpkg -i Nessus-4.4.0-ubuntu1010_i386.deb
    password: **********

before the rest of the folder locations make sure you use the command "cd" without quotes.

also before you run an execution command which requires you to be a root user use the command "sudo" then type wat you want.... This in my opinion seems to be your problem... the two commands i have typed there as they are usually (always) needed when installing from the command line.

reply if that was confusing or didnt work.... Im dyslexic and its hard for me to explain things... usually i just jump at the computer and kick the other person off...

to move to the parent directory/folder type "cd .." yes it has to have the space
    this shouldnt be a problem in Ubuntu 11.10, just open the .deb with software center.... i keep forgetting what my lecturer said, sometimes its better to use the gui.
    Last edited by buckyaustin; January 12th, 2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: bit short sighted... basicly something slipped my mind

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by buckyaustin View Post
    Ok this may sound stupid, but is Nessus in your working directory.... Is it in your home folder or download folder.... if its download folder do as follows
    cd Downloads/
    that should get you into ur download folder, then try to run nessus
    sudo dpkg -i Nessus-4.4.0-ubuntu1010_i386.deb
    password: **********

before the rest of the folder locations make sure you use the command "cd" without quotes.

also before you run an execution command which requires you to be a root user use the command "sudo" then type wat you want.... This in my opinion seems to be your problem... the two commands i have typed there as they are usually (always) needed when installing from the command line.

reply if that was confusing or didnt work.... Im dyslexic and its hard for me to explain things... usually i just jump at the computer and kick the other person off...

to move to the parent directory/folder type "cd .." yes it has to have the space
    this shouldnt be a problem in Ubuntu 11.10, just open the .deb with software center.... i keep forgetting what my lecturer said, sometimes its better to use the gui.
    Give you a hint, the nessus commands aren't in your path. Try finding them in

Code:
    /opt/nessus/bin
    and

Code:
    /opt/nessus/sbin
    Also when you figure that out open the following in your browser.

https://localhost:8834/

You'll be presented with the nessus gui. Have fun

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dangertux View Post
    Give you a hint, the nessus commands aren't in your path. Try finding them in

Code:
    /opt/nessus/bin
    and

Code:
    /opt/nessus/sbin
    Also when you figure that out open the following in your browser.

https://localhost:8834/

You'll be presented with the nessus gui. Have fun
    THANKS guys for helping, i have tried the commands for Nessus like the ones mentioned and its just not finding it.
    What i done the other day was a bit frecky.. i decided to update ubuntu from 10.04 to 10.10 i thought this would be hassle free, turns out after update the system could not boot, the reason i updated was because the ubuntu i had came of a boot disc i was given and i dont know what was all on the disc.
    So after this update to 10.10 and not being able to boot, luck would have it that this tower in wired to the internet and i have another laptop on WIFI at home, so i did some reading and really was getting no where, apart of people talking about a package that,s in the update and its causes this, i tried to find the mentioned package and after 2 hours of looking at all the updates installed i was still no where. I could call sudo and that,s really all i could do.
    I used sudo apt-get cant remember the rest.. lol but i got the update to 11.04 and everything seems fine now, apart from my mouse pointer that keeps doing a disappearing act. lol

So i going back now today and try and get Nessus, this time i will write all i do and log it here.
    Hope all goes well this time.
    Thank again guys for the advice.
    PS.
    I know what you mean by kicking people of a pc and just going to work, i do the same thing to people, when people try and do it to me they need a 24 tonne crane. Hate people that mess with my pc.. lol i sure i not alone here.

Beans

hahahaha.. I think i found the problem, right from the start,, the site i installed nessus from i went back there to take it down again, now on ubuntu 11.04 it installs from the software center, went to intstall it and was told bad package!! the Nessun is not lower case. Don,t know if this as a big effect on things, but it will not let me install from that site. Back to drawing board.

Before taken the download i got a lot of work to do,, GLIB, PANGO, ATK, GTK+ hope to be done this year. lol
    Last edited by jamstir; January 13th, 2012 at 03:04 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12