Thread: Ubuntu Compatablity - Sony Viao Laptop - VPCCW23FX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu Compatablity - Sony Viao Laptop - VPCCW23FX

Windows is not working properly on my my daughters Sony Laptop Computer Model VPCCW23FX. We are contemplating installing Ubuntu on it.

She will be returning home next week from college. In the meantime, I will prepare a Ubuntu Live-CD to test it out.

My question, are there any known compatibility issues concerning this laptop with Ubuntu 12.10?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Compatablity - Sony Viao Laptop - VPCCW23FX

Good chance almost everything will work fine because it is a couple of years old - it uses a 1st generation Intel i3 CPU.

Otherwise, you'll just have to see if the Atheros wireless card is supported and works well.

I would stick with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS if possible, as it will be supported until 2017. 12.10 is supported only for another 18 months.

If it were me, I'd re-install Windows and install Ubuntu as a dual boot. As much as I love Ubuntu, I don't like to unleash it on people who aren't familiar with it. At least give her the choice of operating systems upon boot.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    If it were me, I'd re-install Windows and install Ubuntu as a dual boot. As much as I love Ubuntu, I don't like to unleash it on people who aren't familiar with it. At least give her the choice of operating systems upon boot.
    Re-installing Windows is the rub. The hard disk crashed this past summer, a new hard disk was installed including Windows, and Windows has been causing some problems since.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    good chance almost everything will work fine because it is a couple of years old - it uses a 1st generation intel i3 cpu.

Otherwise, you'll just have to see if the atheros wireless card is supported and works well.

I would stick with ubuntu 12.04 lts if possible, as it will be supported until 2017. 12.10 is supported only for another 18 months.

If it were me, i'd re-install windows and install ubuntu as a dual boot. As much as i love ubuntu, i don't like to unleash it on people who aren't familiar with it. At least give her the choice of operating systems upon boot.
    +1

Beans
    Distro

Well, I did not get a chance to test Ubuntu. The Optical Drive is dead. We did fix the Windows error message "not genuine". I am posting the Windows fix, in case some luckless soul has the same problem and runs across this post.

The "not genuine" error message triggered the error code "0x800700D". An internet search, suggested by another daughter, led to this Microsoft webpage: Error code 0x8007000D when trying to activate a Windows server 2008 or Windows 7 machine using any type of product key.. Downloaded the program, ran it and rebooted. The Windows "not genuine" error message was no longer there. Good News.

To enter BIOS - Sony Viao Laptop - VPCCW23FX - press F2. (This line for historical purposes)

Beans
    Distro

Installed a new optical drive today in the laptop. The YouTube videos helped tremendously. I was able to boot into Ubuntu 12.10 off the optical drive and make a wireless connection to the home network and access the internet.

Preliminary indications are that Ubuntu will work on the Sony Vaio Laptop (VPCCW23FX) without issue.