Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Linux is the best - Help me write my article for college!

Beans

Why Linux is the best - Help me write my article for college!

Okay, I have to write an essay for college about different Operating systems and their functions and I was wondering if you guys woulds like to chip in on some facts about Linux and why you think it's much better than Windows 7 and Mac.

The reason I want this forum to help out is I want to explain to my tutor and the rest of my I.C.T class [who by the way ALL run windows 7] why Linux is far superior to the other Operating Systems and I don't want to miss ANYTHING out.

If this kicks off then I'll upload my paper when done too you guys for your reading pleasure

Have fun!

Beans

Re: Why Linux is the best - Help me write my article for college!

There are many reasons, but just one will suffice.

SECURITY. Windows platform cannot be secured, anti-virus is working based on blacklisting and that approach is flawed of course because everything unknown slips thru, heuristics based scan is estimated to catch 65% of threats, doesn't that say enough?
    As a result Windows is wonderful base for all kind of cybercrime.

Windows computers should not be allowed online as unlicensed drivers are not allowed to public highways. Because they pose danger.

Above I said Windows computers cannot be secured, that's because Windows has countless vulnerabilities and MS is not keen fixing them. Some time ago MS patched a flaw that existed for 19 years, starting with DOS.

Linux can be secured, as can other POSIX compliant operating systems.

Beans

You can pick either the Freedom aspect (Google "Free as in Freedom" and "GNU Project"). Or technology aspect like the general Unix architecture and that Linux runs on 457 of the top 500 largest Supercomputers in the world (top500.org) also the gigantic servers of Google, Amazon, eBay as well as the Hollywood studios (i.e. Avatar was made on Linux).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Buntumatic View Post
    There are many reasons, but just one will suffice.

SECURITY. Windows platform cannot be secured, anti-virus is working based on blacklisting and that approach is flawed of course because everything unknown slips thru, heuristics based scan is estimated to catch 65% of threats, doesn't that say enough?
    As a result Windows is wonderful base for all kind of cybercrime.

Windows computers should not be allowed online as unlicensed drivers are not allowed to public highways. Because they pose danger.

Above I said Windows computers cannot be secured, that's because Windows has countless vulnerabilities and MS is not keen fixing them. Some time ago MS patched a flaw that existed for 19 years, starting with DOS.

Linux can be secured, as can other POSIX compliant operating systems.
    Ah, I'm glad you brought security aspect into this because that's one of the main topics I have to compare them on so thank you! But as a follow up question we know that Linux is a lot more secure than Windows but what about Macs? I was thinking that because all the eyes on are the code here on Linux it would be harder for anything nasty to slip through, would that be the case?

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    You can pick either the Freedom aspect (Google "Free as in Freedom" and "GNU Project"). Or technology aspect like the general Unix architecture and that Linux runs on 457 of the top 500 largest Supercomputers in the world (top500.org) also the gigantic servers of Google, Amazon, eBay as well as the Hollywood studios (i.e. Avatar was made on Linux).
    I didn't know almost any of that and I think the Avatar part will really pack some punch into my paper, thanks!
    Last edited by DS McGuire; January 5th, 2012 at 02:20 AM.

Beans

indeed.

also, i guess it's written by a really large number of developers, they are self motivated and care about the code and what they contribute, also it's shallowly tested by a really large number of people. altogether that seems work really well.

being open source it's entirely editable and customizable, so you get loads of variations developing. i guess it's pretty similar to the evolutionary benefit you get from sexual rather than asexual reproduction, open source stuff can 'cross pollinate'. So you get a myriad of linuxes, from 'damnsmalllinux' and 'tinos' to 'Ubuntu Ultimate', and it's uses range from microcontrollers in embedded systems to super-computers.

oh yes, and it's free.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DS McGuire View Post
    I didn't know almost any of that and I think the Avatar part will really pack some punch into my paper, thanks!
    If you are talking to non-Tech people, then you should concentrate on the Freedom aspect. I think this would be more appealing. You can just mention the supercomputers and servers as proof that the Freedom philosophy can and does produce top quality software.

Other examples of Freedom software are Firefox and VLC media player.

Beans

If you are talking to non-Tech people, then you should concentrate on the Freedom aspect. I think this would be more appealing. You can just mention the supercomputers and servers as proof that the Freedom philosophy can and does produce top quality software.

Other examples of Freedom software are Firefox and VLC media player.
    Considering I am one from top of the class and I am EXTREMELY techie they are surprisingly very non-tech people. For example; I was asked today "if Linux is so good and it's free why is it not the industry standard? And why is Windows all anybody wants?" I was left so flabbergasted by the question I laughed and walked away. So I will concentrate on the 'Free' aspect of Linux more than it's shear awsomeness! HAHA.
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

If I'm completely honest I don't think its far superior - I still love OSX, and I can't say I have any issues with Windows 7... I don't use it really - now we don't have it at my current work, and I only have it on one machine it's sort of slippped by the wayside on my machine, but in all honesty this is just my personal preference - I've not really had any major issues with windows since the 90's, when windows 98 caused us to switch to Mac os8 and I think we all felt a little like that back then - at school I had NT, at home I was still using a DOS GUI. I suppose I never had Vista, and I didn't use XP until we got bootcamp and intel processors, but win 95 and 98 used to drive me up the wall with software I bought causing conflicts, changing things and then breaking things when they were uninstalled - or just crashing; I think they've all got better... I can't remember the last time I had a pc crash like they used to - just freeze and do nothing for ever until you took the plug out, then get told you didn't turn it off properly!

As for your essay, I'd advise caution - a collage essay should be critical - in order to win your argument you must list the flaws of Linux also - hardware support for example. You also need to be careful you're being honest - in an unbiased critic windows and OSX inparticular are going to hold the picture cards - avoid general topics such as security, these are esily beaten down, the ace that GNU/Linux / BSD hold is user configurability - it's the only one to go for, almost any Unix over NT argument will find OSX or Solaris trumping Linux, and Windows isn't weak by any chalke

You have to think in terms os what we "put up with" that you wouldn't if you'd payed $200 for your OS? What we do have is power - we can change almost anything - the desktop environment, heck even the kernel itself - and you can even customise this by compiling your own kernel with things you don't want disabled and things you do want enabled. Draw attension to the GPL and the open source philosophy, and don't forget that Linux isn't quite finished yet.

I love linux and It's my primary OS by far - apt or rpm based distros, arch and gentoo, but I'm far from saying it is without falt, and I find the journey and the speed of development one of the key things that keeps it exciting.

Beans
    Hidden!

You were asked to write about "different Operating systems and their functions". You what to turn that into "Why Linux is the best" or "Linux and why you think it's much better than Windows 7 and Mac". Stick to the subject of what you were asked for if you what a good grade!

Edit: a short version of what jjex22 wrote above.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; January 5th, 2012 at 03:04 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jjex22 View Post
    If I'm completely honest I don't think its far superior - I still love OSX, and I can't say I have any issues with Windows 7... I don't use it really - now we don't have it at my current work, and I only have it on one machine it's sort of slippped by the wayside on my machine, but in all honesty this is just my personal preference - I've not really had any major issues with windows since the 90's, when windows 98 caused us to switch to Mac os8 and I think we all felt a little like that back then - at school I had NT, at home I was still using a DOS GUI. I suppose I never had Vista, and I didn't use XP until we got bootcamp and intel processors, but win 95 and 98 used to drive me up the wall with software I bought causing conflicts, changing things and then breaking things when they were uninstalled - or just crashing; I think they've all got better... I can't remember the last time I had a pc crash like they used to - just freeze and do nothing for ever until you took the plug out, then get told you didn't turn it off properly!

As for your essay, I'd advise caution - a collage essay should be critical - in order to win your argument you must list the flaws of Linux also - hardware support for example. You also need to be careful you're being honest - in an unbiased critic windows and OSX inparticular are going to hold the picture cards - avoid general topics such as security, these are esily beaten down, the ace that GNU/Linux / BSD hold is user configurability - it's the only one to go for, almost any Unix over NT argument will find OSX or Solaris trumping Linux, and Windows isn't weak by any chalke

You have to think in terms os what we "put up with" that you wouldn't if you'd payed $200 for your OS? What we do have is power - we can change almost anything - the desktop environment, heck even the kernel itself - and you can even customise this by compiling your own kernel with things you don't want disabled and things you do want enabled. Draw attension to the GPL and the open source philosophy, and don't forget that Linux isn't quite finished yet.

I love linux and It's my primary OS by far - apt or rpm based distros, arch and gentoo, but I'm far from saying it is without falt, and I find the journey and the speed of development one of the key things that keeps it exciting.
    That was a great read! And yes I am going to keep this as unbiased as possible and Linux does have it's faults because nothing is ever perfect. I never had Windows Vista but I have had 7-XP and 98 [I'm only 17 :L] And I personally never had a problems with any of them but I know because I was often called to fix them Windows PC fail if the suer doesn't know what they are doing. With XP the amount of calls I got from my family to come and fix their blue screen was appalling. I did have 7 a few months ago but because I built a new PC I didn't have a Operating system but I found a old Lubuntu disk under my bed and because I never really needed it I never used it but I put it in and used Lubuntu for a few days, then I got the PPA for Ubuntu 11.10 OO and the rest is history. Apart from Microsoft office which I only installed last week using Wine I do not miss Windows at all and like you said the rate of development is always exciting XD.

I haven't really 'experimented much' I haven't even tried another distro yet but I feel like if I let go of Linux now I will miss out on all this and I really want to use Linux forever

The normally, average user will always stay with Windows because that's what they are used too, they wouldn't be able to adapt to something so new, so fresh and so breakable (:L).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast