Thread: beginner scripting do scripts

Beans

beginner scripting do scripts

Ok, so when i used windows i liked incredibly much autohotkey www.autohotkey.com
    The coding was incredibly simple and powerful, i had a script in my startup that went something like this

1 read settings.txt and store in variable %state%
    2 if %state% = 1
    2.1 msgbox timeout=10s "ABORTING /n run=cancel"
    2.2 if buttonpress=ok or buttonpress=timeout
    2.2.1 exitapp
    3 else
    3.1 msgbox timeout=10s "RUNNING /n run=wait,ok"
    3.2 if buttonpress=cancel
    3.2.1 exitapp
    4 loop all files in folder of script
    4.1 if filename<>scriptname and filename<>settings.txt
    4.1.1 run file
    5 exitapp
    (note code in ahk is not like the above, i just made something that is easy to understand by coders)

if i have a project to make, i put all my shortcuts in the script folder, like notes, the app i use(or the project and when it runs it uses that app), editor for the project and stuff like that

soo here are my worries, how do i create a script in ubuntu? i tried to make files that run in terminal or ask to be run in terminal and no matter what extension i gave them they just sit there and wait to be edited by the txt editor... i found in some of the ubuntu folders a file that asked to be run, basically when i want to create a script i just copy that file, delete everything inside it and copy in it what i want it to run (also change the name of the script)
    q1 how do i create a script that asks to be run in terminal?
    q2 can i create something like the above? with message boxes and other
    variables?

Beans

Re: beginner scripting do scripts

ohh yeah, i forgot in the script i also save the new state in the settings.txt XD
    soo if last time i started my computer i worked, now the script will start my working apps, and if last time i started my computer i did not work now it will not start my apps

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Moved to Programming Talk.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by pigmentty View Post
    Ok, so when i used windows i liked incredibly much autohotkey www.autohotkey.com
    The coding was incredibly simple and powerful, i had a script in my startup that went something like this

1 read settings.txt and store in variable %state%
    2 if %state% = 1
    2.1 msgbox timeout=10s "ABORTING /n run=cancel"
    2.2 if buttonpress=ok or buttonpress=timeout
    2.2.1 exitapp
    3 else
    3.1 msgbox timeout=10s "RUNNING /n run=wait,ok"
    3.2 if buttonpress=cancel
    3.2.1 exitapp
    4 loop all files in folder of script
    4.1 if filename<>scriptname and filename<>settings.txt
    4.1.1 run file
    5 exitapp
    (note code in ahk is not like the above, i just made something that is easy to understand by coders)

if i have a project to make, i put all my shortcuts in the script folder, like notes, the app i use(or the project and when it runs it uses that app), editor for the project and stuff like that

soo here are my worries, how do i create a script in ubuntu? i tried to make files that run in terminal or ask to be run in terminal and no matter what extension i gave them they just sit there and wait to be edited by the txt editor... i found in some of the ubuntu folders a file that asked to be run, basically when i want to create a script i just copy that file, delete everything inside it and copy in it what i want it to run (also change the name of the script)
    q1 how do i create a script that asks to be run in terminal?
    q2 can i create something like the above? with message boxes and other
    variables?
    To run a script file in a terminal(or elsewhere) without explicitly specifying which interpreter to use to run it, you need to:

1. Make the first line of the file contain: "#! /path/to/interpreter" (usually "#! /bin/sh", "#! /usr/bin/python" or "#! /bin/bash" and
    2. make the file executable by setting its "executable" flag: "chmod +x the_script_file"

The rest of the instructions will now depend on the interpreter/language you choose.