Thread: webcam not detecting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

webcam not detecting

hi guys,
    my acer webcam seems to be not working on ubuntu n windows, sometimes it works n sometimes it doest.. how do i check my webcam's h/w connections???
    pls help!!!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: webcam not detecting

Hi there are you using samsung-tools from voria's repository?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

no am not using it. my webam isnt workin on windows also

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ah sounds like a hardware problem - if you're still in warranty/took out a care plan get it looked at by that provider - if you even open it up to inspect yourself you could void it.

If not then the things to check are the webcam's connection to the motherboard- that it' not damaged or loose? To be honest if it's intermittent the chances are that the cable from the mobo to the webcam is on it's way out and it's moving the screen that's creating/breaking the connection - but this is just speculation; I have this problem with my nc10 netbook screen -I just bought a new one off ebay.

If you did need to replace it yourself, be sure to find a good guide online for hotw to dismantle your netbook to get to the screen/webcam/wifi aerials, the actual part off ebay is around $5

As I say, contact any warranty or cover provider first, but it's not a big fix if the hardware is gone

All the best

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

the wiring seems to be fine cos i removed it n checked as its out of warranty.. at times it detects but only a black screen appears not the object which i focus on... i suspect it depends on the lid position