Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Conexant and Smartlink modem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Howto Conexant and Smartlink modem

Guten tag Alexander,
    I have not updated any of the information since updating to Feisty and have also not used Smartlink for a long time. The Conexant open drivers that you have tried, do not work on the Feisty of Edgy kernel version and fix has not yet been found. The thread has some posts in it if you read them. The only way at the moment is to download and install the free Linuxant driver for your HSF modem at: http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/archive/hsfmodem-7.60.00.09full/hsfmodem-7.60.00.09full.tar.gz
    These drivers are free, but restricted to 14.4k and can be opened up with a registration code that you get on paying a fee, but at least will allow you to test and get online. they also have a deb file, but i am not sure if it is for the latest Feisty version or not.
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Beans

Guten Tag ; Hello,

thanks for your answer.That I can't use my modem, is really bad, because Ubuntu and it's nice Package Manager, and Program Manager wants something to download everytime. And without Internet connection, I can't even play my mp3 files, because it needs the plugins for gstreamer.

Regards Alexander

PS: I want to mention, that at my installation of Ubuntu, the Boot Manager Grub, was not installed correctly. I've to change lofs of things (With Knoppix Live CD), until I can start my XP or even Ubuntu.
    Other Linux Destributions all install a correct Boot Manager.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

If you are using a desktop PC and not a laptop, you can change to a Intel536EP or a Smartlink internal modem and quite a few others and if you have a serial port you can use just about any proper external serial modem without installing any drivers
    Good luck
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Beans

Hello,

I want buy me a cheap USB Modem.
    Which USB 65k Modem does surly support Linux ?

Regards Alexander

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Alexander,
    I cannot help you here as I have not used USB modems to date, but you should note that the actual name of the modem does not really mean much, it is the chipset that the modem uses that determines which can be used, You may have an xyz modem, but it may have a conexant chip, meaning that you would only be able to use the free but limited modem driver from linuxant or pay for full 56k, but it will work on linux. It also seems as if modems that are based on smartlink may also work.
    Here is a site that has a post on successfully using an USB modem. http://www.mepis.org/node/7482
    I suggest you need to google for USB modems on ubuntu and see what people have made to work. You biggest problem will be to determine what chip the USB modem is using and thus then if there are linux drivers for them and then only you may have to do a bit of work to get the drivers installed if required. Visit friends who have USB modems and are using XP and do a modem query to see what type of modem it may be or open the windows drives and have a look at the top, sometimes there are clues, then varify on google and then buy it!
    Good luck and let us know what works to help others.
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Beans

Hello,

thanks. I look for a modem, and post the model, if I get one.

Regards Alexander

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post Re: Howto Conexant and Smartlink modem

You can be sure that a Zoom/Faxmodem model# 2986L will work--it is called with dev/ttyACM0--a built-in module with most newer kernels. I used one for several years & still have it (with the wvdial.conf) as a backup modem. I'll send you the .conf if you want it--Make sure you get a 2986L modem--others do not work well. I have seen them on eBay in the $25US range.
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans

Thank you, but that's to expensive. I want to get something under 10 Euro.
    What do you think of this modem:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...:B:EF:grin:E:2
    in ebay.de
    (German ebay )
    The seller says, that it is a "Smart Link Soft Modem" and that Smart Link is now Conexant.
    And he says it Linux Kernel 2.4 support it. And what is with Linux Kernel 2.6? I'll ask him this.

Regards Alexander
    Last edited by alexander1; June 10th, 2007 at 12:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post Re: Howto Conexant and Smartlink modem

Not too sure--I'd look at: http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/
    for information on USB devices.

I'm not seeing the Freeway listed there---you could contact the vendor for more info....
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Have a look here http://www.mandrivauser.de/smf/index...ic,5762.0.html
    and here http://www.treiberupdate.de/treiber-...reewayUSB.html

You may be in luck. if not sure download the XP driver for this modem and have a look ot the top of the files and see what they are reffering to as ich verstehe nicht deutch
    Last edited by Matchless; June 10th, 2007 at 08:53 PM.
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast