Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preventing boot sector virus infection

Beans

Re: Preventing boot sector virus infection

Quote Originally Posted by OpSecShellshock View Post
    In order for a drive to be booted from, there has to be a bootable image on it and it has to be selected in the BIOS as a boot device. Also it has to be physically present. Absent any of those factors you're pretty well in the clear. Obviously the easiest factor to control is whether it's connected or not.
    In the BIOS, only the Onboard SATA Hard Drive is set as bootable. It is the first device in the BIOS boot sequence list, is the only one in that list with a number in front and only devices preceded by a number are bootable. So, I guess I am protected from getting a boot sector virus from an infected medium(floppy/CD/DVD/USB storage device) left in the computer while shutting down or booting up the computer, right?
    Last edited by jsvidyad; January 25th, 2012 at 06:16 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    Is there a reason that you're focused on this one particular kind of virus?
    I got a possible boot sector virus infection earlier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jsvidyad View Post
    In the BIOS, only the Onboard SATA Hard Drive is set as bootable. It is the first device in the BIOS boot sequence list, is the only one in that list with a number in front and only devices preceded by a number are bootable. So, I guess I am protected from getting a boot sector virus from an infected medium(floppy/CD/DVD/USB storage device) left in the computer while shutting down or booting up the computer, right?
    Yes, you should be fine. For the most part when a boot sector virus is detected it is on the boot sector of whatever disk it's found on and shouldn't be much of a problem if that disk isn't booted from. Also most of them are old enough to be detected quickly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you did boot in the past from an infected medium (floppy, USB, etc) then you may have a boot sector virus - changing the boot sequence afterwards is too late. once the virus is written to the boot sector, then cleaning the boot sector is the only way to get rid of it. Once it is cleaned up, (by whatever tool you use) then you may have a bios option that prevents writing to the boot sector on your hard drive - that will affect your grub bootloader, so you'll have to enable boot sector protection after you have a new grub bootloader installed, and have determined that the OS will never need to write there - and determining that is beyond my knowledge!

Good luck!
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12