Page 63 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayland Live CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: nVidia

Quote Originally Posted by nerdopolis View Post
    Woah! Tell Phoronix or something!
    Maybe you could say something to the guys on the irc that might have nv powered pc's
    Lot of people have ATI/AMD, I wonder if they are ever going to support wayland ?

I checked around on Phoronix and noticed Canonical is trying to get nv support so im just a by-stander without clout!
    Last edited by cecilpierce; August 17th, 2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Add

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: nVidia

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    Maybe you could say something to the guys on the irc that might have nv powered pc's
    Lot of people have ATI/AMD, I wonder if they are ever going to support wayland ?
    Can you post a screen shot or something of the email from Nvidia? You can censor out personal information from it...
    The glass is at 50% of its capacity.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Wayland Live CD

Discussion Thread
    Response Via Email (Mike) 08/16/2012 01:31 PM
    Hi Cecil,

Your issue was just referred to me.

We have a recently opened Feature Enhancement request to evaluate the effort to add support for wayland. We are only currently evaluating the effort to add support and unfortunately have not yet committed to doing the work.

If this is important to you, feel free to contact me for progress updates. Please be aware that if we do decide to add support, it may take some time due to Engineering's workload and priorities.

Let me know if any more questions.

Best regards,

Mike
    NVIDIA Customer Care

Discussion Thread
    Response Via Email (Mike) 08/17/2012 08:32 AM
    Hi Cecil,

Thanks for the offer to test, but for now all we can do is wait. -

Best regards,
    Mike.

The other msg was refering me to some one else.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Discussion Thread
    Hi Cecil,

We have a recently opened Feature Enhancement request to evaluate the effort to add support for wayland. We are only currently evaluating the effort to add support and unfortunately have not yet committed to doing the work.

If this is important to you, feel free to contact me for progress updates. Please be aware that if we do decide to add support, it may take some time due to Engineering's workload and priorities.

Best regards,

Mike
    NVIDIA Customer Care

Discussion Thread
    Hi Cecil,

Best regards,
    Mike.

Thanks! I sent the permanent links to your posts to Phoronix. Hopefully with more publicity on Nvidia's consideration might push them to commit...

Beans
    Distro

I hope something soon, I was on the irc awhile ago and was going to ask there but I figured all those guys are intel wizzards.

Beans

Good luck with nVidia

Anyway, I would have been reporting back with my own test results but my USB microSD card reader died on me a few days ago, and I've been messing around with booting the ISO directly from GRUB2 rather than burning a bunch of coasters.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lehjr View Post
    Good luck with nVidia

Anyway, I would have been reporting back with my own test results but my USB microSD card reader died on me a few days ago, and I've been messing around with booting the ISO directly from GRUB2 rather than burning a bunch of coasters.
    I heard about that, exactly how do you boot an iso from grub ?

Beans

I heard about that, exactly how do you boot an iso from grub ?
    Normally, like this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/ISOBoot

64 bit OS ISOs work fine, but 32 bit ones may not if you haven a NTFS partition. The problem is outlined in this thread (page 2 is where the problem is finally diagnosed): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=103062

For me it's a problem because I have a couple of NTFS partitions. I lost a week to messing around with it before I found that thread, now I'm messing around with ISOMaster which apparently has broken dialog boxes, at least under Cinnamon.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Discussion Thread
    Hi Cecil,

Best regards,

Mike
    NVIDIA Customer Care

Discussion Thread
    Hi Cecil,

Best regards,
    Mike.

You made it to Phoronix article: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE2MjY

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nerdopolis View Post

The general tone of the resulting discussion is pretty much that what's needed is for nVidia to support nouveau rather than doing everything with binary blobs.

I have to agree because the closed source drivers do hinder progress and will always lag behind current X-server/Wayland rather than being developed in parallel with it like the open source drivers. If the GPU manufactures would put the same amount of resources into helping with the opensource drivers as they do the closed source ones, we'd likely have better performance.

I should point out that I didn't always feel that way. I've been a user of ATI's "fglrx" driver for a long time, but they can't keep up with overall Linux changes, not just the kernel, but the overall combination of software that makes up the Desktop OS. Even looking at kernel updates alone, I think Ubuntu Quantal is getting a new kernel about every week now. That's not even considering other parts like the DE. The GPU driver teams probably wait until each stable release until they begin coding, which means they'll always be building tomorrow's drivers on yesterday's Linux (desktop OS combination).

Compare that to Windows, where Microsoft releases a new version of Windows every few years. While each release may have differences from the last that require new drivers, the release itself doesn't usually change to the point that the GPU driver team would have to change the driver with each update. And yet the GPU driver teams still release several updates for these drivers over the life span of each incarnation of Windows, often not really fixing everything until the final driver version, if at all.

I do suspect though that nVidia will hold off as long as they possibly can on Wayland support while claiming "lack of interest" from end users which will result in lack of interest from end users since they can't even be able to try Wayland, let alone use it without the required drivers. ATI/AMD would be wise to take advantage of this.
    Last edited by lehjr; August 19th, 2012 at 12:13 AM.

Page 63 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast