Page 67 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayland Live CD

Beans

Re: Wayland Live CD

Quote Originally Posted by nerdopolis View Post
    Far from it... Krh has been traveling for two weeks so commits Wayland's git repo has slowed a bit for now,

and I'm now trying a fix that might get kde-baseapps to build against kdelibs frameworks 5, which is built against QT 5, which has a native Wayland backend, So that real kde apps (not the sample ones that are on the Live CD now) might work native on Wayland. (not under the xwayland x server)
    Any luck with that? Also, are you building Qt5 as well, or are you using a repo? Last time I built Qt, it was the 4.x branch under Windows. Build time was several hours, and failed on a single core machine but succeeded on a dual core machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lehjr View Post
    Any luck with that? Also, are you building Qt5 as well, or are you using a repo? Last time I built Qt, it was the 4.x branch under Windows. Build time was several hours, and failed on a single core machine but succeeded on a dual core machine.
    QT 5.0 builds fine, I've been building QT successfuly on the CD for like months now. I recently got kdelibs frameworks to build on QT5. It's just me trying to build kde-baseapps on the new frameworks that's causing me issues.

And yes QT takes an extreemly long time to build. A good chunk of the build process, even on my new i3 laptop!
    The glass is at 50% of its capacity.

Beans

QT 5.0 builds fine, I've been building QT successfuly on the CD for like months now. I recently got kdelibs frameworks to build on QT5. It's just me trying to build kde-baseapps on the new frameworks that's causing me issues.

And yes QT takes an extreemly long time to build. A good chunk of the build process, even on my new i3 laptop!
    Reminds me of a post from awhile back where Linus Torvalds mentions compiling the Linux kernel in 19 seconds:

https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorval...ts/6BxnSisp8fU

"...I must have ADHD, because I'm profiling the kernel build process where "make -j32" from a clean tree on my config takes 19 seconds, and I want to shave it down a bit more."

"...two cores with HT (four threads).

And enough memory to keep everything in RAM, together with ccache and an unhealthy amount of time spent on making sure pathname lookup is really really fast.

And I don't build modules I don't have. I do the occasional "build everything" just to make sure things don't break, but what I care about is what I can actually boot and test, so that's the thing I build all the time." 

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lehjr View Post
    Reminds me of a post from awhile back where Linus Torvalds mentions compiling the Linux kernel in 19 seconds:

https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorval...ts/6BxnSisp8fU

"...I must have ADHD, because I'm profiling the kernel build process where "make -j32" from a clean tree on my config takes 19 seconds, and I want to shave it down a bit more."

"...two cores with HT (four threads).

And enough memory to keep everything in RAM, together with ccache and an unhealthy amount of time spent on making sure pathname lookup is really really fast.

And I don't build modules I don't have. I do the occasional "build everything" just to make sure things don't break, but what I care about is what I can actually boot and test, so that's the thing I build all the time." 
    Interesting. I have two cores with HT as well.
    I was using -j $(cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep ^"processor" -c)
    Hmm...
    I didn't know it was beneficial to have threads then CPU's

Beans

Interesting. I have two cores with HT as well.
    I was using -j $(cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep ^"processor" -c)
    Hmm...
    I didn't know it was beneficial to have threads then CPU's
    Maybe it won't help with building Qt, I dunno. One oddity I remember was having to use qmake to build Qt 4.x, which is made harder in that it is part of Qt.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@nerdopolis

I wanted to try the iso in a terminal and its in /home/cecil/Downloads/, when I run the script it says file not found, what exactley am I suppose to type in from the Download directory after I run the script ?
    Thanks, Cecil

does the iso and the script need to be executable ?
    Last edited by cecilpierce; September 6th, 2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: ADD

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    @nerdopolis

I wanted to try the iso in a terminal and its in /home/cecil/Downloads/, when I run the script it says file not found, what exactley am I suppose to type in from the Download directory after I run the script ?
    Thanks, Cecil

does the iso and the script need to be executable ?
    The script needs to be executable, the ISO doesn't, and you need to give the script the full path to the iso file

Beans
    Distro

OK, Ill try it again, thanks...

Beans
    Distro

I get this: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(' and if I rename the file without the quotes it says: Invalid CDROM image. Not an Ubuntu based image. Press enter

The file name is: RebecaBlackLinux(8-24-2012).iso.
    Here is what I type in a terminal:cecil@cecil-cpu:~/Downloads$ ./test_RBOS_ISO.sh /home/cecil/Downloads/RebecaBlackLinux(8-24-2012).iso.

Im missing something, for you its easy but im lost or brain-dead

At the end I get this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    I get this: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(' and if I rename the file without the quotes it says: Invalid CDROM image. Not an Ubuntu based image. Press enter

The file name is: RebecaBlackLinux(8-24-2012).iso.
    Here is what I type in a terminal:cecil@cecil-cpu:~/Downloads$ ./test_RBOS_ISO.sh /home/cecil/Downloads/RebecaBlackLinux(8-24-2012).iso.

Im missing something, for you its easy but im lost or brain-dead

At the end I get this:
    Yes. That's for if you want to unmount the CD image. Use the arrow keys and hit enter. You probably would want to say "no" as in you don't want to leave the images mounted, and have the iso unmounted

Page 67 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast