Page 22 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayland Live CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wayland Live CD

Chuck I first tried with pacmanXG and again with yaourt and it complains about wayland and wayland-git are in conflict,
    Even Precise says broken packages when trying to install weston, Im lost !

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    Chuck I first tried with pacmanXG and again with yaourt and it complains about wayland and wayland-git are in conflict,
    Even Precise says broken packages when trying to install weston, Im lost !
    Remove one or the other, if you didn't already try that.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I installed it. Now what?

Cecil, when using yaourt you'll be offered a chance to edit the PKGBUILD, if you're trying to install wayland you can comment the conflicts (wayland-git) line. Or vice versa.

Beans

If Arch is the same command

Can you run ....

sudo westoncaller

found a video here of it running on arch

and get a terminal up .... should look like this ....

Cecil if you have weston running already on Ubuntu there is no need to get it onto Arch ..... unless you
    want to of course ...... ( I too had problems on the Arch install too .... but mine is two things - space on the
    drive and conflicts ..... but maybe Chuck can work out what the problem is in Arch )

Hope so ..... I may look for the latest Archbang to load it into a bigger partition .... needs 5 gig to upgrade
    and I do not have that even after cleaning it up .....

( as you probably know from before - I have an hour or so on scrabble with a friend now - but will return after )
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; March 27th, 2012 at 08:55 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    * ( would like a link to some laymans diagrams showing in detail the workings of this - a flowchart maybe of where it is now )
    Diagram is at the top of the page on the first link from the main wayland page: http://wayland.freedesktop.org/architecture.html

It might help to think, when you look at the second diagram, replace "wayland compositor" with "window manager".

all good documentation to show how weston and wayland work .....
    Well, start by reading all of http://wayland.freedesktop.org/ if you haven't. I recently came across some additional potentially interesting documentation here: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...hment-0003.pdf
    Specifically the Wayland Compositor.pdf attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    You're gonna have to sell me on Wayland. What good is it? What does it do? etc...
    Eh, you're welcome to just wait for it to become your default desktop like most people.

Basically, X is a LOT of crufty old code that mostly doesn't get used anymore and nobody wants to maintain, and a tiny bit of new shiny stuff. A lot of the new shiny stuff isn't even in X anymore, it's moved out to the kernel, and other libraries. So wayland is just (X developers) scrapping the cruft, taking all the shiny stuff, and tying it together with a minimal protocol. That protocol is called wayland.

There is no one wayland server, as there is (basically) one X sever. All existing (compositing) window managers are expected to directly implement the wayland protocol themselves using the wayland libraries, communicate with the input hardware with other existing libraries (evdev), and become the display server.

Beans

Launchpad bug - add to this ...... https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....0/+bug/954352

Guess once Precise is out of the way the real development can begin ......
    I think that bug is actually a huge problem. I really don't know how Ubuntu will ever enable GTK+ support for wayland, which is critical for making it usable. All because Nvidia chooses to build their proprietary driver in a way that doesn't work with shared memory. There are a couple options, but I don't see anything budging. Very importantly, there's a problem preventing solving this problem by just providing one set of packages for people using the Nvidia proprietary driver, and another set for those who want to use GTK+ with wayland. It's all in that bug.

If it's not clear, the GTK+ support for wayland is critical because that's exactly how all existing gnome related applications are expected to communicate with a wayland display server. The only other ways for a client to communicate via wayland are Qt, Clutter, EFL, possibly SDL, and directly implementing the wayland protocol (which is expected to be rare).

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Darxus, for the explanation. Sounds like something I can wait on.

@Keith, wayland/weston, I can't keep up. All I know is that it builds fine but I'm not about to disable gnome shell to see it make a terminal.

@Cecil, looks like it's best to build on a fresh installation that will coexist with it. I didn't try it that way. yaourt -S weston-git semed to pull everything in.

At this point in development it reminds me of spending 20+ hours programming a clock into a Timex Sinclair so I can see a clock on my TV. Good luck guys.

Beans

Cheers for all the information ... looking through it now. ty

Cheers Chuck .... at least you gave it a go and it got me to have a look around some more too
    some interesting information has come out and sounds like waiting a little longer may be one option

@Keith, wayland/weston, I can't keep up. All I know is that it builds fine but I'm not about to disable gnome shell to see it make a terminal.
    You should not have to disable Gnome-shell ..... ( unless in Arch - it is different in some way )

I have it running along side my main desktop ...... on one install
    and this one RBv2 ..... it runs from a terminal .....

I do not disable anything ..... my Desktop Managers still run ok .....

At this point in development it reminds me of spending 20+ hours programming a clock into a Timex Sinclair so I can see a clock on my TV. Good luck guys.
    Yeah .... but it still puts a big smile on your face when you see something running ..... after spending all that time on it.

I never got the sinclair clock going - but I did write a printer driver for that odd 3 horizontal panel display sinclair used ....
    that was fun ...... ( star nl10 dot matrix printer instead of using the small thermal one )

Time to read some more now ..... it may be in its infancy , but would like know what is the next stage is in Linux Development.

Sounds as if they are not that far away .... ( is it going to be working properly first on UBUNTU or another Distro )

Which is the best / closest fitting Distro for it - or are they all in similar positions ATMIT ( At this moment in time ) ?

Guessing the Launchpad Bug on here needs fixing first .... then it can make progress ....

or we wait .... and hope someone else pushes the wheel barrow with the bricks on it to the building site.
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; March 27th, 2012 at 11:50 PM.

Beans

Video I did several days ago of the webkit browser running in weston (wayland):
    http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/d...it-youtube.ogv

The video is clear and smooth. If it doesn't look that way to you, you have a playback problem.

WebKit, as you may know, is the core of Chrome and Safari.

So yeah, there's plenty left to be done, but I think this is pretty cool.
    And I have a build script to download, build, install, and run all of wayland/weston v0.85 with GTK+ and Qt with qtwebkit: http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/buildscript/

Takes a total of about 3 hours 16 minutes for me to get through all that.

Definitely worth joining the #wayland channel on irc.freenode.net if you're trying to build wayland stuff.

Beans

video looks good ..... will see if I can create a similar one once its all set up .... think
    I may have to install QT5 again .... although - it may still be on here .... ( need to check )
    as I think this may be another clean install - as last time QT5 was giving me problems.

My build is in progress - will see if it runs any better once its compiled from source for my
    system ......

3 hours to go ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; March 28th, 2012 at 12:37 AM.

Page 22 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast