Page 16 of 122 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayland Live CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wayland Live CD

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Good job on the Wayland thing. Keep up the good work.

You should rename it, though. A lot of people won't touch it just because of the name, for the same reasons that people don't want the Justin Bieber and Hanna Montana distros.
    Haha bieberbuntu, god help us all..
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

@Nerdopolis

When it's installed, it only tries to start Wayland, I don't have the option yet. If Wayland crashes, it should fall back to X... But Wayland could be hanging on startup...

I'll need to find a way to fix that

The computer I put it onto was the one with hybrid graphics ......

I did try it on a very old Acer LC1355 ... and although wayland did not run from boot up on that one it did bypass wayland and go into the X window ....

This is what made me try it again on the hybrid intel+nvidia ..... as I thought I had not
    waited long enough ..... but even waiting a long time the second time .... it made no difference .....

I will have a look at that tomorrow and see if there are any other differences. ty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nothing to report yet ???

Beans

Sorry - Cecil .... looking at Gimp at the moment .... it is due to be released soon
    looking like April now though .... so thought I would try it out at the version they have now
    but its not going to plan yet .....

Once I have a installation working I will come back on here .....

ok got Gimp 2.7.5 working now - tried to start it in wayland ... it runs but opens in a X window .....

have gone back to 2.6.11 too .... the scripts need to work for me to get full use of it ....

It will be good in the Future if the scripts get updated and the JPGs save instead of export ..... post loads
    and use gimp to do them .... not used to adding more steps and awkward ones to do a easy save.

sort of keep hoping that
    things will start making sense with wayland .... but I cannot figure out how to make
    a small application in QT5 and get it running in wayland yet ....

mine go to an X window .... there are some that go into wayland - it was these I looked
    at modifying .... but none seem to have a ..... ui with them for setting the form up ....
    makes life easier .... for me as all I can do is the odd modification of other peoples code
    but I do not understand it enough to be able to write my own yet ....

Setting the screen layout in QT is easy though ...... the signals and slots ... is almost as
    easy .....

Getting there but slowly
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; February 22nd, 2012 at 01:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro

OK, I see an awful lot of people on the #wayland irc, wonder why some don't jump in here some where ? RBLOS, maybe, I don't understand that part either, oh well keep up the good work

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    OK, I see an awful lot of people on the #wayland irc, wonder why some don't jump in here some where ? RBLOS, maybe, I don't understand that part either, oh well keep up the good work

They probably don't know about this thread. Or my Live CD...
    The glass is at 50% of its capacity.

Beans
    Distro

@ nerdopolis

I have two Wayland's installed, one works and the other doesn't, where can I tell what version they are ?

I'm getting the 2-11-12 now to replace the one that's not working.

I will get on the irc and see what I can find out but they are not very active there and the things they do talk about are over my head

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    @ nerdopolis

I have two Wayland's installed, one works and the other doesn't, where can I tell what version they are ?

I'm getting the 2-11-12 now to replace the one that's not working.

I will get on the irc and see what I can find out but they are not very active there and the things they do talk about are over my head

Not unless you check some of the file creation/modified dates in /usr/local. I don't have a versioning scheme, as it's still just an alpha.
    The glass is at 50% of its capacity.

Beans
    Distro

@ nerdopolis

OK, thanks, DL just finished, going to install it over the one that's not working and see what happens.

Tried the irc, just as I thought, no reply's !

Notice the ERROR msg ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Hi,

Is it possible to make a bootable USB stick out of the iso? I tried unetbootin and the Universal USB Creator but with both the boot process fails in the initramfs with an error something like "mounting /dev/loop0 as filesystem.squashfs failed: invalid argument". Any pointers? Something missing in the initramfs?

I don't have an optical drive and would really like to try out the live CD, besides, not having to burn CDs would be more convenient in any case.

Thanks.

Page 16 of 122 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast