Thread: VirtualBox, Direct X & Lineage 2

Beans

VirtualBox, Direct X & Lineage 2

Hey all,

I'm quit new in Ubuntu. I have it now for like 1 week. it's working great but I still want to play Lineage 2. This is why I download/ installed Virtual Box. After a few hours of looking on google I came quit far. I installed Guest Additions. But every time I start up Lineage 2 it says I need to update my Direct X. When he did that it keeps saying it for some reason.

I installed Windows XP SP3 32bit on VB. I gave it 4gb ram (of the 16gb), 2 of the 16 cores, 256mb (of the 2gb). My main OS is Ubuntu 10.10 64Bit. For some reason I had much more problems with a 64Bit version of XP so I took the 32Bit.

I tried to update Direct X myself. The Launcher of NCSoft (Maker of Lineage 2) can also do it. But after he did it he always says directly he needs to update again.

Thank you very much already,
    Elrick

Beans

Re: VirtualBox, Direct X & Lineage 2

gaming works very badly in a virtual machine. direct x is clearly a windows problem btw. if I were you I'd go to

virtualbox.org

I have an account there, ask perryg for help. But I can tell you, they are most likely going to tell you the same thing. Also, with winblows, uninstalling and reinstalling direct x is not a bad idea if it doesn't work. With windows, when in doubt, uninstall and reinstall. Blows doesn't it? When you go vbox forums, make sure that you are clear whether you are virtualizing in a linux host or a windows host

Beans

did you install the virtualbox ose or their version of virtual box? I was unaware in vbox that you could actually set cores, I thought you could only set number of processors. But I've always used the open source version. If you use more then one processor, then are you using a server mainboard? What gpu is it? How are the drivers for the gpu. Wow, back to windows again, well with windows try uninstalling the drivers, uninstall the dirext, then reinstall. Nice machine btw that is a bit of cores. But isn't gaming in a server machine usually a bad idea? I hate that winblows is the best option for gamers, it really is. Because it the number #1 used platform. But man doing anything windows exclusive SUCKS!

Beans

Thank you for replying so quickly.

I'm also making a post at the virtualbox website. Thanks for the tip

I'm using the virtual box. And I was rong. I set up 2 processors and not 2 cores. You are right it's not possible to set cores. I bought this pc in Poland as a gaming pc because it was 75% cheaper there. Asmainboard I have the ASUS P8P67-M PRO. With the Intel i7-2600K. 3.4 Ghz. There are 8 visual cores and 8 threads or something like that. I dont know it precisly.

For uninstalling Direct X, I thought that was quit hard to do. I needed to turn it off and than install a higher version or something? Because there is no normale way of uninstalling it if I'm right?

Maybe it's a better way to dualboot my pc. But I personally hate that so maybe there is a way to start up both OS at once and give windows one workspace tab? If this is possible of course!