Thread: all browsers crashing after recent update

Beans

Red face all browsers crashing after recent update

I installed the most recent updates to ubuntu 11.10, 32 bit. Something in the update has completely crashed all my browsers. I was running an older version of Opera, which was updated. It briefly brings up a window saying that Opera needs to restart. I believe it also says something about missing a library, although it won't stay up long enough for me to read it. Chrome loads one page and then crashes.

I've researched this and thought it might be the libcanberra issue. I don't see any way in Synaptic to roll back these updates. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling both Opera and Chrome without success. I could use some help in troubleshooting this. I'm decent with a command line, if I know what commands will help here.

UPDATE: I read about a possible issue with the Keyring, so I deleted passwords associated with Google. (I was trying to load Gmail.) It still crashes when trying to load Gmail, but I am able to get it to work when loading the Ubuntu forums. So could this be the reported issue with Flash?

This computer is my remote connection to work and I really need to have some browser, any browser working before Monday
    Last edited by teripittman; January 8th, 2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: updating

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: all browsers crashing after recent update

Is Firefox crashing too?
    Say no to Microsoft. Say yes to open source.

Beans

I don't have it installed right now. It was crashing when I first installed Ubuntu (I'd been running Linux Mint prior to that.)

Beans

I installed Firefox through synaptic. It started to load, said "checking compatability of plugins", then basically locked up my computer. I've downloaded the previous version of Opera so will try and install that. Chrome is working so far, but I haven't tried to log into gmail yet.

Beans

Okay, I think I'm back in business, at least with Opera. I installed 11.52 again, which works fine. I'm going to clear out most of the keyring entries and see if that resolves the Chrome issue.

I believe there was a webkit upgrade in that last batch of updates, and that could be part of the issue. At any rate, at least I'm ready for Monday!