Thread: changeing/add themes in 11.10

Beans

changeing/add themes in 11.10

please excuse the newb , this is my first dive into anything but windows.
    I cannot figure out how to change/add a theme in 11.10
    when I open up the appearance tab in settings I see no way to change this . I have downloaded a few .tar.gz theme files but I have no idea on how to intsall them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: changeing/add themes in 11.10

(Installing Downloaded Themes / Icons)

Use only GTK 3 themes for Ubuntu 11.10

Download and fully extract all the packages .

Install the Gnome Tweak Tool / Advanced Settings from the software center for making theme selections.

(Single User) Create a .themes and .icons folder in home / hidden folders . Use Ctrl + H to open the hidden folder option in Nautilus .

(All Users) Use gksudo nautilus in the terminal to open the file system and navigate to / usr / share / themes or icons .

Place the folders in either location . Make theme selections using Advanced Settings > themes . Logout - in may be required .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Re: changeing/add themes in 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    (Installing Downloaded Themes / Icons)

Use only GTK 3 themes for Ubuntu 11.10

Download and fully extract all the packages .

Install the Gnome Tweak Tool / Advanced Settings from the software center for making theme selections.

(Single User) Create a .themes and .icons folder in home / hidden folders . Use Ctrl + H to open the hidden folder option in Nautilus .

(All Users) Use gksudo nautilus in the terminal to open the file system and navigate to / usr / share / themes or icons .

Place the folders in either location . Make theme selections using Advanced Settings > themes . Logout - in may be required .
    ok so far have downloaded and installed the tweak tool. and created the folders in home/hidden section. but I am lost on the nautilus? terminal . I looked in my dash and typed terminal in search and got 3 teminal. xterminal and uterminal
    which one do I use ? . I have used and am somewhat familiar with old dos and it"s commands but I am lost on this OS I have not as of yet figured out how to extract and to where the theme files .