Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Libre office can't handle .rtf files? how lame is that?

Beans

Libre office can't handle .rtf files? how lame is that?

Well its been about 3 months of exclusive UBUNTU OS 11.10 and I've had not even had to go to my virtualbox dual boot for incompatible websites thanks to the firefox 8 upgrade. things seem to be going fine however I must comment that libre office is terrible and is no way close to openoffice. I have tried to revert back to openoffice but I seem to have trouble getting that to work because there are so many steps involved to get it working. I'd hate to have to dual boot windows just because I need a reliable officesuite/ word processor. Has anyone managed to revert to openoffice using the deb packages they provide, or is there a fix for libre to open and properly view the most basic of documents an rtf file? or another program for office

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Libre office can't handle .rtf files? how lame is that?

What exactly is the problem you're having with RTF files? LO opens, edits and saves them perfectly on my machines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Libre Office handles RTF files just fine for me too. Which app were your RTF files created in? Have you tried a variety of RTF files to test LO with?

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

well thats strange. Its an online class file. When the rtf document open in Libre writer its shows a few words and the rest of it is blank pages. To make sure it was not a corupt file, I went to my XP virtualbox and downloaded and opened the same file with openoffice and it opened fine. Could it be a ubuntu issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unlike enriched text, rich text or .rtf files are actually a Microsoft file format, which it is deprecating from office 2010 onwards.
    So not the "most basic" format.

Different versions of MS office will produce slightly different types of .rtf file (there are about 8 versions).
    It is possible that LO does not recognise a particular control word that OOo does.
    The sig between the asterisks is SO COOL that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can install the deb openoffice package in the official openoffice.org site following the method described in this link: http://user.services.openoffice.org/...topic.php?t=68

Beans

a google search did show other people having this problem but no fix so i thought it was a libre issue.
    ok tried some more stuff, uploaded the same file to my ubuntu one account opened it on a windows PC and it works fine. so its not a ubuntu download glitch. With Libre it seems to be only showing the headers and not the text body, nor keeping the table format... The best I suppose is to attach it to the forum and seem if anyone with libre can open it...oops its too large to upload
    Another thing i tried was I opened the file in libre I clicked on "file" then "preview in web browser" and I was able to see all the text it just was not formatted properly... how do I remove libre and just reinstall it? i wondering if that is a fix.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by claracc View Post
    You can install the deb openoffice package in the official openoffice.org site following the method described in this link: http://user.services.openoffice.org/...topic.php?t=68

thanks those steps seems a lot simplier I will try it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i had a problem with latest LO opening files, so i used a bit older stable version and it worked better.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by internetprofiles1 View Post
    thanks those steps seems a lot simplier I will try it.

Yesssss openoffice works and so does my file. I really don't know what was wrong with libre, I figured how to use Synaptic Manager to completely remove all the libre packages and removed all the remnants of the openoffice package i had previously tried to install and then I followed those steps to get openoffice install, it worked like a charm.Surprising that that openoffice tutorial was posted in 2007 , and it still works today. Maybe i had a conflict and reinstalling Libre would have also worked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast