Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good video converter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Good video converter

I need a video converter that can convert films, into an appropriate format for my iPod touch, also to convert into mp4's etc...

any suggestions (I would preffer if they were from the software center)
    'The storm had now definitely abated, and what thunder there was now grumbled over more distant hills, like a man saying "AND ANOTHER THING!" twenty minutes after admitting he's lost the argument'
    -Douglas Adams

Beans

Re: Good video converter

I'd say Handbrake is pretty good, but unfortunately not in the repository, you'd need to add a PPA to get it.

If you want to stick to the Software Centre, have a look at Winff, which is a front end to FFmpeg.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

what's the PPA?

(also I think i remember back in 10.04 using something called 'atrisa encoder' or something of the like, however I can't find it)
    'The storm had now definitely abated, and what thunder there was now grumbled over more distant hills, like a man saying "AND ANOTHER THING!" twenty minutes after admitting he's lost the argument'
    -Douglas Adams

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The easiest and best converter for Ubuntu is (IMO) Arista (click to install). It's in the repos, and will convert stuff for a specific device with a couple of clicks.

Tools like Handbrake, ffmpeg and Avidemux are great if you want to very precise control over millions of settings, but for most straightforward transcoding jobs they're ridiculously overcomplicated.

Beans

PPA = Personal Package Archive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Package_Archive

I think you mean Arista Transcoder, and it is in the Software Centre, I have never used it, but seen many good and favourable comments about it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

found it , very nice
    -Douglas Adams

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

thanks for reminding me the name of arista btw
    -Douglas Adams

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    The easiest and best converter for Ubuntu is (IMO) Arista (click to install). It's in the repos, and will convert stuff for a specific device with a couple of clicks.

Tools like Handbrake, ffmpeg and Avidemux are great if you want to very precise control over millions of settings, but for most straightforward transcoding jobs they're ridiculously overcomplicated.
    Um, have you really used HandBrake? It's mind-numbingly simple.
    1. Start HandBrake.
    2. Choose preset (this step is optional if you've already set a default)
    3. Open source video file
    4. Press start
    5. Go play a round of golf, you're going to be waiting a while...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAStebbins View Post
    Um, have you really used HandBrake? It's mind-numbingly simple.
    1. Start HandBrake.
    2. Choose preset (this step is optional if you've already set a default)
    3. Open source video file
    4. Press start
    5. Go play a round of golf, you're going to be waiting a while...
    I haven't used it for a couple of years, but last time I did the list of presets was pretty paltry. I definitely had to fall back on manual settings for some fairly common devices like a Creative Zen. Maybe that's changed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    I haven't used it for a couple of years, but last time I did the list of presets was pretty paltry. I definitely had to fall back on manual settings for some fairly common devices like a Creative Zen. Maybe that's changed.
    True, HandBrake has about only about a dozen presets. So you have a valid point.

The developers only create presets for devices that they have access to and can test. Since there are only about 4 developers, the number of devices they can test isn't extensive. But a few of the presets are very generic and will, in theory, cover a large number of untested devices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast