Thread: Battery Threshold Support

Beans

Battery Threshold Support

Do we have it? Can it be enabled somewhere? If not are there any plans to do this in the future? I think it is a good idea. Thinkpad users have tp_smapi but most of us have nothing. I think this is a very beneficial feature for laptop users. One everyone should have and utilize to keep their battery working well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Battery Threshold Support

Could you elaborate a little bit on what this feature is/does, for the benefit of the non-initiated (e.g. me)?
    Last edited by Carborundum; August 14th, 2012 at 07:24 PM.

Beans

Re: Battery Threshold Support

Quote Originally Posted by Carborundum View Post
    Could you elaborate a little bit on what what feature is/does, for the benefit of the non-initiated (e.g. me)?
    Sure thing. It basically works like this: When you leave your laptop plugged in you can set a threshold for the battery charge. So you can tell it to charge until it hits 85% and discharge until it hits 30% etc.. etc... So, that way if you leave your machine plugged in a lot it won't stay at 100% and wear your battery down over time. I have pretty much just excepted that it is the way it is for GNU/Linux until I learned about tp_smapi (thinkpad laptop kernel modules) that allows you to control this. Here is a quote from thinkpad people: "Batteries, especially of the modern Li-Ion type, wear out quicker when they hold a large charge or are subject to higher temperatures". It is true too. I have had a few batteries go bad from leaving them at 100% all the time.