Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What 'magic' is needed to play a movie with subtitles (when srt files exist)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What 'magic' is needed to play a movie with subtitles (when srt files exist)?

I think I know where the problem lies.

Apparently the idx & sub files go hand in hand - they comprise a bitmat image of the subtitle which is superimposed onto the video:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...idx_to_srt.cfm
    VobSub's IDX and SUB subtitle format has become popular due in large part to its flexibility and nearly universal compatibility with media players. But there are still times when you need something different, especially when dealing with older file formats like AVI where subtitles need to be in text format rather than images which VobSub rips from a DVD. Fortunately VobSub also includes a tool capable of converting subtitles to text-based formats like SRT or SSA
    While the srt file is a stand-alone text file for that same avi's subtitles:
    http://www.calcitapp.com/AVIAddXSubs.php
    The idx/sub format. This format uses a pair of files, one with extension idx and another with extension sub. These files go together and replace the srt in your player. Using idx/sub, because are external files (that is, not incorporated), you can subtitle any kind of video file. avi/mkv/mp4, you name it, if your player supports the combination.
    So, for example, if I wanted to PERMANENTLY add the subtitles, apparently I have these options:

1. To incorporate XSUB subtitles in the avi from srt files.
    2. To incorporate XSUB subtitles in the avi converting idx/sub files.
    3. To incorporate XSUB subtitles in the avi coming from a combination of srt and idx/sub files.
    4. To generate idx/sub files from srt and use them as external subtitle files (in place of the original srt) in supporting players to subtitle any kind of video (avi/mkv/mp4 etc).

I'll look into these options in detail but won't be reporting back here because that task is off topic for this question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What 'magic' is needed to play a movie with subtitles (when srt files exist)?

I found a very nice more permanent method of playing a movie with subtitles!

Googling for a better solution, I found DeVeDe, a video DVD creator:
    $ sudo apt-get install devede

Among many other options, DeVeDe will create a new video (whether AVI, or MP4, or DVD ISO) which will have the subtitles as a selectable option in any hardware DVD player.

In DeVeDe, you simply load the subtitle files and define their language, e.g.,

DeVeDe will input subtitles of the following formats:
    sub, .srt, .ssa, .smi, .txt, .aqt, .jss or .a s s

These will be true DVD subtitles, in the sense that you can enable or disable them in your hardware DVD player. You can even move their location up a bit for older equipment.

Here is a good help file for using DeVeDe for subtitles and other video conversions:
    - How to use DeVeDe on Ubuntu to convert video files with subtitles
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12