Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 'magic' is needed to play a movie with subtitles (when srt files exist)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What 'magic' is needed to play a movie with subtitles (when srt files exist)?

I have an avi file and subtitle srt files but the movie won't show the subtitles with the default Totem Movie Player 2.30.2 on Ubuntu and there is no menu (that I can find) in Totem to choose the subtitles (English, French, German, etc.) to play.

What 'magic' is needed to play a movie with subtitles?

Here is a directory listing of the available file structure:
    ./movie.avi <=== this is the movie
    ./movie.idx
    ./movie.sub
    ./movie_srt/english.srt <=== these are apparently the subtitle files
    ./movie_srt/italian.srt
    ./movie_srt/french.srt
    ./movie_srt/german.srt

Is my movie player wrong or is my file structure wrong or do I need to make a setting somewhere that I haven't made to select the subtitles to show up in the playing of the movie?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What 'magic' is needed to play a movie with subtitles (when srt files exist)?

try downloading VLC and then use your subtitles there i found it easier to use and do ...
    My Big Ol Python.PY

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What 'magic' is needed to play a movie with subtitles (when srt files exist)?

Quote Originally Posted by pr3zident View Post
    try downloading VLC and then use your subtitles there i found it easier to use and do ...
    +1 install VLC from the software center.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Within VLC navigate on the menubar to Video - Subtitles Track. There you can select with track you want

Btw, give the srt file the same name as the movie. that way it picks the subs when you load the movie. And place the subs in the same directory.

Another note, VLC will pick the *.sub as the subtitles file, my guess is that *.sub contains all the languages in one file. With the above method you can pick the language you want.
    Last edited by Sijmen; January 6th, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
    Notebook* with Ubuntu 10.10...... not yet

*Dell XPS L702x, Intel i5 2520, 4 gig RAM, Geforce GT 550M 1gb, Dual HDD 250 gb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Sijmen View Post
    Within VLC navigate on the menubar to Video - Subtitles Track. There you can select with track you want
    Thanks. I installed VLC from the Ubuntu Software Center.

VLC worked like a charm to display the subtitles.

Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Although your problems appears to be solved, Id also like to mention that subtitles can easily be displayed with mPlayer as well. Edit > Set Subtitles and then just choose the .srt file you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Sijmen View Post
    give the srt file the same name as the movie. that way it picks the subs when you load the movie. And place the subs in the same directory.

Another note, VLC will pick the *.sub as the subtitles file, my guess is that *.sub contains all the languages in one file.
    Interestingly, in my tests, VLC Player only read the subtitle file in the current directory if it was named *.sub and not *.srt (which I found surprising).

As an aside, this thread on a different question pointed me toward smplayer:
    - SOLVED] Is there a conversion program that can flip an avi file 180 degrees?

An interesting note is that smplayer DID read the subtitle file in the current directory whether or not it was named *.sub or *.srt.

If both (.sub & *.srt files existed, both smplayer & VLC player apparently took the *.sub file.

However, smplayer gave the option to read the srt file separately ...

Go figure.

Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    subtitles can easily be displayed with mPlayer as well. Edit > Set Subtitles and then just choose the .srt file you want.
    Is "Mplayer" the same as "SMplayer"?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by rocksockdoc View Post
    Is "Mplayer" the same as "SMplayer"?

smPlayer is a front end for mPlayer I believe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    smPlayer is a front end for mPlayer I believe.
    Thanks. I'm not familiar with the terminology.

Both worked with the subtitles I had (VLC & SMplayer/Mplayer).

SMplayer/Mplayer seemed more powerful than VLC though ... for example, SMPlayer could download subtitles from an Internet database.

Of course, the Internet database didn't have any of the subtitles I tested (it figures); but at least it has that capability.

Also SMPlayer/MPlayer seemed to handle 'both' the sub & srt files more gracefully than did VLC Player ... so for subtitles at least (with my extremely limited experience so far), I'd recommend SMPlayer over VLC (for now) if all you wanted to do was good subtitles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast