Thread: System stops in random intervalls ...

Beans

System stops in random intervalls ...

Hi all,

I've got a serious problem with Ubuntu 11.10 running on a DELL Optiplex 990 Machine.
    Whatever I do, the system randomly stops. Imagine you are working on a shell and randomly you
    won't get a prompt. Or while typing the system stops and won't return to the prompt even if CTRL+C'ed.

I got the Hardware tested. Everythings fine. Memory, System (BIOS and so on, DELL has a pre-check-tool), Harddisk (smartctl health tests pass and so on) , Network (fine!) ...
    And the problems remains even if I have no GUI and pure shell.

The System Clock seems to stop randomly, but kernelparameters like noapic, nolapic doesn't help.

Although the Network is finely working, when I ping another machine you've got a package loss of 20%, caused by the system to stop randomly. (e.g. 20 pings out, 10 pings missing, 10 pings out, 40 pings missing)

The Magic SysRq Key seems to work, but I could not make out any help of the messages.

I don't know what to check now. Maybe you've got some suggestions ...
    I'd appreciate your hints.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: System stops in random intervalls ...

Did you look into the system log files after it stops? Is the machine getting hot?

Beans

Re: System stops in random intervalls ...

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    Did you look into the system log files after it stops? Is the machine getting hot?
    No nothing of that kind. I've skimmed through the logs, but I did not find any interesting message.
    And it isn't getting hot. But maybe, you've can suggest some keywords I haven't tried ?