Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I install Ubuntu? What reasons are there?

Beans

Cool Should I install Ubuntu? What reasons are there?

Hello! I am an extremely new member of this community, if I can be considered one. And I was wondering what reasons there were for me to install Ubuntu onto my computer.

I have no experience with programming applications. Right now, I am running Windows Vista. I am a big gamer, and do the super-majority of my gaming on the PC. I've been told by people that Ubuntu/Linux can't run Steam games, or games for Windows in general.

I aspire to become a programmer and general "tech guru", and I have recently started to teach myself Python. I'm interested in Ubuntu and programming and computers, but I can't think of a reason myself to install it.

A family friend recently suggested that I use Ubuntu when I was having some problems with my primary OS. He burned me a copy of Ubuntu to install if I couldn't fix the problem, but I did fix the problem and now the disk is just sitting on my desk.

tl;dr I'm not a programmer (yet), but I am a gamer. Why should I dual boot install Ubuntu on my PC if it won't get used?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Should I install Ubuntu? What reasons are there?

In a word; don't.

If windows is OK for you, use whatever works best for you. Now get back to programming!

You may decide to come back to Ubuntu when you're ready. For instance, the API(s) is/are open-source and much better-documented IMO. And setting up programming is a little easier, and closer to the hardware.

tl;dr - don't.

PS-just pop the little disc in and boot it...you know you want to. Seriously, why don't you try it? You can boot from CD and not change your OS at all. But booting from a CD will be very slow.
    Last edited by MG&TL; January 5th, 2012 at 08:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you use your PC for gaming only, you should not install ubuntu.

If you use your pc for many other things, if you love the opensource idea, if you hate windows, if you like free software, if you want to know how a computer works, if you want to have a highly configurable OS or even compose your own OS, then start learning linux by installing Ubuntu!
    Vim - Comfortable text editing and coding
    vim-autoformat - a code-formatting plugin for vim supporting various languages - https://github.com/Chiel92/vim-autoformat
    Vimperator - Fast browsing using keyboard only

Beans
    Distro

I recommend installing virtualbox, this is a program which you can use to run other operating systems within your own. You can download it here

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

It'll run a little slower than a straight install, and will likely have issues with 3D acceleration but other than that its great. I use it all the time.

If you find you like ubuntu, then go ahead and install it alongside windows, you don't have to choose one or the other, you can dual boot both quite happily - I think most of us linux gamers do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Since your focus appears to be on Gaming, especially with Windows games, then I recommend NOT installing Virtualbox. You won't be able to do decent gaming with it.

If you want to "experiment" with Ubuntu, just to see how different it is from Windows, then use Wubi to install it. This causes the least risk to your machine as it does not require messing around with the existing partitions.

If it turns out that you like using Ubuntu, then remove it from Windows, come back here, and we'll address how you can reinstall it using dual-boot approach.

As to programming, if you just want to program for PCs, then Python is as good a language as any (and better than some) and a Linux distro would be a good place to experiment with that.

But, if your programming is going to be for the Windows environment, that is very different, and you should then stay with Windows -- as their development tools install and run there, not in Linux.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Since your focus appears to be on Gaming, especially with Windows games, then I recommend NOT installing Virtualbox. You won't be able to do decent gaming with it.

If you want to "experiment" with Ubuntu, just to see how different it is from Windows, then use Wubi to install it. This causes the least risk to your machine as it does not require messing around with the existing partitions.
    I meant install a virtual Ubuntu within the OPs windows install. I got the impression he was interested in installing Ubuntu for the purposes of learning about linux, and possibly programming. Of course, if the intention is to install Ubuntu mostly to be able to play linux games then no, a virtual os is not a good idea.

Also, I don't think using virtualbox is more dangerous than wubi. I've never heard of either harming the original windows install, though I agree a wubi install is another possible way of trying Ubuntu

Beans

if u wanna use windows why are u still using Vista ?? use XP or Wİn 7 ..

ubuntu is cool simple and fast but hard to be get use to it.. i m new too.

Beans

I second Virtualbox for playing around with Ubuntu if you're not that interested in doing the full whack right now. And I back the others who say if you're a PC user for mainly gaming, Linux isn't really going to please you... yet
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by priority View Post

lol, that is what i was going to say. If you are using Visa . . .

ET

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by priority View Post

Vista is pretty shocking I would change to XP/7 or come over to Ubuntu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast