Thread: Compatibility between libreoffice and openoffice

Beans

Compatibility between libreoffice and openoffice

Not directly Ubuntu related, but I guess there are some people here who could answer this yes/no question:

Is LibreOffice and OpenOffice perfectly compatible?

I'm asking since I'm working on a thesis, and I use LibreOffice on my laptop, and OpenOffice is installed on the computer on the university, and I would rather avoid any nasty surprises (with regard to formulas, tables etc.) since i switch a lot between OpenOffice at the uni and LibreOffice elsewhere, working on the same document.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Compatibility between libreoffice and openoffice

I am not sure if they are perfectly compatible as I am sure there may be formatting issues, depending on which format you saved it as.

Have you considered going to something online such as Google Docs or Zoho? Both of these are decent for word processing and you would eliminate the whole compatibility issue.

Beans

I use OpenDocument format (which is default format for both LibreOffice and OpenOffice). If there are compatibility issues, the easiest solution would be simply installing OpenOffice on my laptop. I just prefer using LibreOffice since it looks nicer. But if I there are any compatibility issues between the two, I guess I'll go back to OpenOffice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickelbox View Post
    I am not sure if they are perfectly compatible as I am sure there may be formatting issues, depending on which format you saved it as.

Have you considered going to something online such as Google Docs or Zoho? Both of these are decent for word processing and you would eliminate the whole compatibility issue.
    I use OpenDocument format (which is default format for both LibreOffice and OpenOffice). If there are compatibility issues, the easiest solution would be simply installing OpenOffice on my laptop. I just prefer using LibreOffice since it looks nicer. But if I there are any compatibility issues between the two, I guess I'll go back to OpenOffice.

Beans

This may or may not help, but I had used OOo for the last 6 years or so, but now use LO from the ppa for Lucid.

I have seen absolutely no problems of any kind when opening old files made by OOo in LO, and I see no reason why you should either. This comment even holds true for the old .sxw writer files, as well as .odt files.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Libre is open office with some bugs solved (for now). Possibly some smaller improvements, and improved compatibility with MS office.

since you have a laptop wouldn't it be more logical to bring it with you to University?
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by arnetheman View Post
    I'm asking since I'm working on a thesis, ... and OpenOffice is installed on the computer on the university....
    Since it's your thesis, I'd suggest playing safe and using what your uni uses.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by arnetheman View Post
    Not directly Ubuntu related, but I guess there are some people here who could answer this yes/no question:

Is LibreOffice and OpenOffice perfectly compatible?

I'm asking since I'm working on a thesis, and I use LibreOffice on my laptop, and OpenOffice is installed on the computer on the university, and I would rather avoid any nasty surprises (with regard to formulas, tables etc.) since i switch a lot between OpenOffice at the uni and LibreOffice elsewhere, working on the same document.
    Well this won't be immediately helpful but I found OpenOffice and Microsoft Office had a lot of compatibility issues, which in many cases left me just exporting things to PDF so someone could at least see my work (did this in Uni a lot).

However, I've found LibreOffice doesn't have any (so far) compatibility issues with Microsoft Office and I've been using it for about 2 months now?

I've not tested OpenOffice and LibreOffice compatibility yet though.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Since both OOo and LibO use the ODF natively, there should not be any compatibility issue. That's the point using a true open and documented format like ODF!

As for formats like .doc, remember that the import/export filters have reverse engineered by OOo devs so you can't expect perfection. Proprietary formats are part of the vendor lock-in policy used to keep market shares.
    Ubuntu user # 14396