Greetings party peoples & the place to be!

I currently am in possession of an ACER Aspire 5735Z, an integrated graphics problem, Ubuntu 11.10, and a hole in the wall where my head used to be.

I was trying to play a game or three on my laptop, but strangely, none of them would run. After a fair amount of ticked-offedness over its lack of working, I gave up and watched cat videos. Then I...well, let's just skip ahead 3 or 4 hours.

After attempting to run Blender after installing it, I finally hit upon the idea that my integrated graphics card probably doesn't like Ubuntu very much, and that all the things that weren't working had to do with OpenGL and/or 3d hardware acceleration.

So what does an ex-Windows user do when his hardware isn't playing nice with his software? That's right! Iiiiiiiiit's DRIVER TIME! Or so I thought.

You see, I have an Intel GMA 4500MHD integrated graphics card/system/thingie included in my laptop. As such, I spent 2 fun hours rummaging around Intel's website until I finally found something that's kind of what I want. Do they support Ubuntu? Of course not. How silly of me. If I was running Fedora 10 or any Windows distribution under the sun, I'd be fine. But Nooooo. Yet another middle finger for me.

So what do I do? I've lurked and lurked until I can lurk no moar, and have finally resorted to posting a thread about this. The site that has the right drivers, (as far as I ca n tell) is here. Am I even approaching this correctly?

And if you actually read my tome of a post, a heartfelt thank you and my greatest condolences go out to you.