Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenGL and integrated graphics.

Beans

Cool OpenGL and integrated graphics.

Greetings party peoples & the place to be!

I currently am in possession of an ACER Aspire 5735Z, an integrated graphics problem, Ubuntu 11.10, and a hole in the wall where my head used to be.

I was trying to play a game or three on my laptop, but strangely, none of them would run. After a fair amount of ticked-offedness over its lack of working, I gave up and watched cat videos. Then I...well, let's just skip ahead 3 or 4 hours.

After attempting to run Blender after installing it, I finally hit upon the idea that my integrated graphics card probably doesn't like Ubuntu very much, and that all the things that weren't working had to do with OpenGL and/or 3d hardware acceleration.

So what does an ex-Windows user do when his hardware isn't playing nice with his software? That's right! Iiiiiiiiit's DRIVER TIME! Or so I thought.

You see, I have an Intel GMA 4500MHD integrated graphics card/system/thingie included in my laptop. As such, I spent 2 fun hours rummaging around Intel's website until I finally found something that's kind of what I want. Do they support Ubuntu? Of course not. How silly of me. If I was running Fedora 10 or any Windows distribution under the sun, I'd be fine. But Nooooo. Yet another middle finger for me.

So what do I do? I've lurked and lurked until I can lurk no moar, and have finally resorted to posting a thread about this. The site that has the right drivers, (as far as I ca n tell) is here. Am I even approaching this correctly?

And if you actually read my tome of a post, a heartfelt thank you and my greatest condolences go out to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: OpenGL and Intergrated graphics and AAAARGGGH.

Ubuntu would have auto detected the Intel graphics chip and installed the relevant drivers. The only time you are likely to manually install a graphics driver is if you want the official AMD or Nvidia drivers.

Run 'glxgears' on the command line, if you see 3d gears turning then your GPU is working correctly. I suspect your problem is more likely down to trying to run 3d applications that your Intel chip does not support.

OpenGL has gone through many improvements over the years and not all graphics chips will support the features that some particular software may require

edit:
    A quick google search will show that running the following in a terminal will let you know if direct rendering is enabled or not:
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep direct
    The intel video card driver package is:
    Code:
    xserver-xorg-video-intel
    Last edited by SingingBush; January 5th, 2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: adding additional info

Beans

After running the aforementioned "glxgears" command, I recieved the following:
    Code:
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
    Yaay. Apparently, I don't have GLX. Whatever that is.

At any rate, does this mean I no can haz OpenGL?
    Does this mean that my Blending days are over? No more lovely 3-dimensoinal acceleration?
    No more playing like half the game I got from the humble Indie Bundle?

Crap.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

GLX is the OpenGL extension for X window system.

Anyway, have you already tried updating your graphics drivers from the X-Updates or Xorg-Edgers PPA repository?

Looking for things you need from default repositories first, and then searching for a suitable third-party repository before even bothering to check the manufacturers/developers web page would pretty much be the way you want to deal with this kind of stuff on Ubuntu.

Beans

Very helpful, mcduck. Thank you.

Alas, though, I feel like a nub yet again. How do I know which repository is right for me? Just get the fglrx installer for my system?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Dastweeper View Post
    Very helpful, mcduck. Thank you.

Alas, though, I feel like a nub yet again. How do I know which repository is right for me? Just get the fglrx installer for my system?
    Well, definitely not fglrx if you have an Intel graphics card like you said (fglrx is the Ati/AMD graphics driver )

The X-Updates doesn't seem to have anything for Intel currently, so go for Xorg-Edgers. Just add the repository using the instructions on the web site, and run a normal system update:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

Beans

Ooh... So close. I followed your commands mcduck, but according to glxgears, I still don't have OpenGL.

Is that the right repository for me? I'm out of ideas.

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can try installing glx via:

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils

I'm also curious - are any of the things you are having problems running flash based?

Dave

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

did it install the repository?

strange that you dont' have openGL as it should be supported for this card.

maybe you can find something here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...telPerformance
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    did it install the repository?

strange that you dont' have openGL as it should be supported for this card.

maybe you can find something here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...telPerformance
    As far as I can tell it did, I mean I waited for 2-4 minutes as a bunch of Terminal text whizzed by. I'm not a complete newbie, and what I read of it sounded encouraging.

I'll try installing the mesa utilities (although I'm more of an Aperture Science fan) and see if that helps, anewguy. And as far as I know, the things I'm trying to run are not flash based.

[UPDATE]
    Knickers. The mesa utilities didn't work either. Any other ideas? What on earth is going on?
    Last edited by Dastweeper; January 6th, 2012 at 01:47 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast