View Poll Results: What do you prefer, Thunderbird or Evolution?

Voters
2214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thunderbird

1,465 66.17%
  • Evolution

696 31.44%
  • What are they?

53 2.39%
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution or Thunderbird?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Evolution or Thunderbird?

I use thunderbird (because I'm used to it and I set not to download full e-mail but only headers - Evolution can't do that as I heard but it's posibble I heard wrong), but I think for beginners Evolution is better (and I'm considering moving to it some day).

Beans
    Hidden!

TB, I do not use gnome that's one reason to prefer TB and I keep some of my mails but to cut down the size have to save the attachments.
    I can compress the TB interface to take up much less space than Evo.
    Spamfilter of TB seems to be better.

But I wish TB's vertical layout would look like Evo's, hopefully it is coming soon.
    Why can't technology be as simple as the box it comes in ?

VAIO X505 800g pure Debian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I hear rumour of Thunderbird offering support for Exchange in the next version? I have become comfortable with Evolution (need Exchange support for work), but I do overall like Thunderbird more.

If anyone can verify that I'd be interested in following the progress & upgrading when available.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've not mastered Evolution, but I still prefer it to Thunderbird. The Thunderbird program is fine, but the development and administration of its development is chaotic. I need a calendar function combined with my email client and I had it with Thunderbird... until... the email client was upgraded in a way that conflicted with the calendar. Then I lost access to a lot of important data and important functionality.

Thunderbirds is fine, but beware the extensions. Beware.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Truth be told the question/ poll is a bit like asking if you prefer a text editor to an office document processor....
    • Thunderbird is a very good email client (but that's about it)
    • Evolution is Groupware

To my mind, Evolution is analogous to Outlook (full sized) with exchange-like properties. So if you need the power of a toolset similar to Outlook running with Exchange in the Linux world then Evolution is the choice (albeit not perfect)...
    if you need a reliable analog for Outlook Express that works in the Linux world then Thunderbird is an excellent choice.

Just my two cents.... personally I'm moving from T'bird to Evolution even though I LOVE the customizing aspects of T'bird (Evolution seems to lack those, for the most part).
    Pax Vobiscum
    ...mark

Beans

That's true, rabideau, but to my mind, Thunderbird+Lightning is quite close to what one can expect of a Groupware. Compared to that, slow and heavy Evolution looks too bloated to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hello to everybody !

Does anybony knows how to set Evolution for fetching only headers of incoming messages ?

I connect often with my portable phone and I have only few megabytes per day with my web provider .

I use a POP3 mail server , in Evolution preferences I did not found anything to get this feature that is easy to set in thunderbird.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I thought I knew how to do the headers thing but can't seem to find the settings for that either.
    • Along similar vein, does anyone know how to make an open message close automatically after a reply?
    Pax Vobiscum
    ...mark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Re: Evolution or Thunderbird?

Evolution for me too.

The only thing that I reminisce for in my Thunderbird days is its better support for html email. Evolution seems to only support inline css whereas Thunderbird could support styles in the header and, if I remember correctly, linked css too.

Thunderbird, could never get Evolution to work propaly
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast