Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Patch to add "up" and "home" buttons to Nautilus toolbar

OK great I got it working, thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

I noticed today that there is an update for nautilus. If you apply the update, it will overwrite your patched nautilus and you will have the crappy default toolbar again.

If you happen update nautilus, it's easy to fix:

Method 1: go back to the patched nautilus source folder and run "sudo make install"

Method 2: download the updated nautilus source, patch it, build it and reinstall it. The patch works perfectly fine on the updated nautilus source code.

There are several ways to avoid this althogether, which I mentioned in a previous post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

this is great, i really missed those buttons. would it be hard to integrate move to trash, cut, copy and paste buttons?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kendon View Post
    this is great, i really missed those buttons. would it be hard to integrate move to trash, cut, copy and paste buttons?
    They should be pretty simple because all those functions are already in Nautilus. I don't know if I'll have time to do it myself, but if I ever get around to it, I'll post a patch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I really don't understand why the up to parent folder button has been removed .... I only use that button
    ^MEDUZA^

Beans

Very nice job!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MeduZa View Post
    I really don't understand why the up to parent folder button has been removed .... I only use that button
    Me too, that's why I sat down to make this patch. I rarely use the back and forward buttons.

Lately I feel like we've returned to the old days of linux, where you had to spend hours fixing little things just to make your computer usable.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yes at every step they either removed functions and options or made them so hard to find they might as well have been removed, the point was? Easier I think not especially for inexperienced users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by flar View Post
    They should be pretty simple because all those functions are already in Nautilus. I don't know if I'll have time to do it myself, but if I ever get around to it, I'll post a patch.
    that would be great. i basically understand how this stuff works, so maybe you could point me in the right directions (i.e. where would i look for the lines to insert etc.). would be much appreciated

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kendon View Post
    that would be great. i basically understand how this stuff works, so maybe you could point me in the right directions (i.e. where would i look for the lines to insert etc.). would be much appreciated
    Unfortunately I have no time to work on this right now, but take a look at the patches. The patch files have headings that identify the files that I had to change. Below the headings it shows the lines that I added or modified. Compare the patch files and you can probably figure out how to add more buttons. Not sure about a Trash button though, that might take some effort.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast