Thread: Programming as a graduate

Beans

Programming as a graduate

Hi guys,

I'm in my third year at University doing BSc(Hons) Computer Science so naturally I'm looking at either continuing my studies or getting a job and joining the real world. I have been looking around for jobs recently, mainly with graduate or junior programmer in the title, and have found that most seem to have an unrealistically high expectation of the amount of languages that applicants should be 'proficient' in.

Am I misunderstanding what they mean when they say 'proficient' or is it time for me to start delving into these languages more than my course has required me to do so far?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Programming as a graduate

It is good to have at least a working knowledge of as many languages and technologies as you reasonably can. But you have to be pragmatic. Is it really possible for you to have experience in dozens of languages? Not really. No institution could possibly hope to turn out that graduate.

Learn what you can so you are not a deer in the headlights, but don't give yourself an ulcer. Of course they are going to put all their dreams in their wish list.

You don't pay the used car salesman what he asks for, do you? No. You strike a bargain. The chip you NEED to have is the ability to solve problems, because that is really what programmers do. Languages are used to implement solutions.

Learn what you reasonably can and sell yourself.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

QIII had a great response that I just add on to as well. I'm a senior math major so I don't have quite the Comp Sci experience as others do. However, as QIII noted above the power of solving problems is really the most important. There are thousands of people who know programming languages but wouldn't have the first clue as to how to approach a problem.

In addition, talk with your career services department. See what kind of positions you might be able to get a job (internship) with. Work experience will pay off for you more in the end than learning every programming language. (The first time you ever see developer notes/illustrations you will probably want to vomit).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Anstice View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm in my third year at University doing BSc(Hons) Computer Science so naturally I'm looking at either continuing my studies or getting a job and joining the real world. I have been looking around for jobs recently, mainly with graduate or junior programmer in the title, and have found that most seem to have an unrealistically high expectation of the amount of languages that applicants should be 'proficient' in.

Am I misunderstanding what they mean when they say 'proficient' or is it time for me to start delving into these languages more than my course has required me to do so far?
    most people/company's put this on there classifieds too look for the "top" people. just go for the gold and you will get it. as I am someone that has done just that. 2 years ago I did not know what c was let alone a compiler or any languages for that matter or even what linux was. I then found my calling and put 110% into it. if you do not know something lets take asp.net for a example build a server and play, there are alot people out there that know less then you but still get those job. dont let something get in your way. full speed ahead my friend. Just be honest and tell them how bad you want the job. something that I see all the time is dudes/chicks getting out of school with a cs degree and have never built a website and think that they deserve 25+ a hour to start. these are the people that usually never get a call back. three things to say at interview
    1) I am a hardworker and willing to adapt
    2) I finish my projects on time or really close too
    3) I make my Superior's look good
    sorry about the spelling hope you the best in your quest you can do anything !!
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

QIII is right you don't need a list of all languages known to man to get employed. Know a few and pick up the rest as you go along. In five years time that languages you once thought were important will have been replaced.
    Years ago, back in the mists of time, I was working for a large IT company and was asked to test the ability of candidates to understand 'C' code for a programming vacancy.
    The manager wishing to engage one candidate came bounding across after the interview -- Well? Is He all right? Did he pass?
    I said hold it a minute. Do you want to take on this guy. Yes was the answer. So I replied then "Take him on. On his knowledge of the language he is not the best I have seen but I think he would fit in and there is enough of us around to help him out if needed."
    He got the job!
    Mick 'n Keef rock, Chas beats time and Ronnie is the new boy
    Registered as user 466848 with the Linux Counter. Registered Ubuntu User 22858. Our company website or our new venture

Beans

The most important thing that was already said was to learn to solve problems. Once you know how to do that, (which is what you've been learning), learning a new language is just a google search away.

Thing in the interview that impressed my new boss was "Yes, a person can know a lot of languages. It's the implementation that matters. I can implement a solution in any language you need."

Be honest, and sell yourself. And try and get an internship somewhere and look for small business's. And learn to ask Google the right questions. Any problem you're asked to solve, somebody else has had it in the past.

Beans

Thanks alot for all the replies guys. I'd like to think that I am on the right track from what you have all said. I do like to challenge myself by playing with programming challenges outside of my directed study when I get a chance and I have had experience with builidng my own website using simple text editors and larger IDE's to try and make sure I experience with both approaches.