Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: size of kernel sources

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    111

    size of kernel sources

    Hi,

    I have a graphics card which needs the 3.2 kernel to work properly. The kernel compiles fine, yet there is a thing I don't understand. When I download and expand the archive of 3.2-rc7 from kernel.org, I get a directory of about 550 MB. However, after compiling the kernel and making a deb file with this command

    fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers

    the source directory is a whopping 7.9 G! Now I understand that the directory will be somewhat larger after compilation, but this seems a tad excessive. I have tried on a fresh install, and I've encountered the same phenomenon. Can anybody explain what's going on here? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lake Wales Florida
    Beans
    607
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: size of kernel sources

    Quote Originally Posted by pindar View Post
    Hi,

    I have a graphics card which needs the 3.2 kernel to work properly. The kernel compiles fine, yet there is a thing I don't understand. When I download and expand the archive of 3.2-rc7 from kernel.org, I get a directory of about 550 MB. However, after compiling the kernel and making a deb file with this command

    fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers

    the source directory is a whopping 7.9 G! Now I understand that the directory will be somewhat larger after compilation, but this seems a tad excessive. I have tried on a fresh install, and I've encountered the same phenomenon. Can anybody explain what's going on here? Thanks!
    Your most likely compiling the kernel with debug info which you can disable before the compile .
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    111

    Re: size of kernel sources

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobhuber View Post
    Your most likely compiling the kernel with debug info which you can disable before the compile .
    Thanks a lot, I think you've nailed it. I had overlooked this sentence in the wiki: "Note that Ubuntu kernels build with debugging information on, which makes the resulting kernel modules (*.ko files) much larger than they would otherwise be."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Beans
    659
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: size of kernel sources

    If you're using Oneiric there is a PPA that backports the 3.2 precise kernels to 11.10. Currently it's RC7 but should be 3.2 final in a day or two:

    Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ptn107/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Or if you want to compile on your own, https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise...nux/3.2.0-7.13 has the 3.2 tarball with all the ubuntu goodness like the ASPM power fixes that won't be in mainline until 3.3, the ureadahead patch, etc... (Note that this link will soon be changing once it's rebased to 3.2 final in the next day or so, and the page will show the change)

    I've got my 3.2 kernel (With custom dsdt, compiled for core2 and my drivers in the kernel instead of modules, everything i don't need stripped out, governor defaulted to 'conservative', 1000hz as my Windows VM's work smoother, etc.) down to 9.1MB deb for linux-image down from 36MB's for defaults. initrd dropped from 19.6MB to 7.3MB's also.
    Last edited by xyzzyman; January 5th, 2012 at 09:32 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    111

    Re: size of kernel sources

    Quote Originally Posted by xyzzyman View Post
    If you're using Oneiric there is a PPA that backports the 3.2 precise kernels to 11.10. Currently it's RC7 but should be 3.2 final in a day or two:

    Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ptn107/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Or if you want to compile on your own, https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise...nux/3.2.0-7.13 has the 3.2 tarball with all the ubuntu goodness like the ASPM power fixes that won't be in mainline until 3.3, the ureadahead patch, etc... (Note that this link will soon be changing once it's rebased to 3.2 final in the next day or so, and the page will show the change)

    I've got my 3.2 kernel (With custom dsdt, compiled for core2 and my drivers in the kernel instead of modules, everything i don't need stripped out, governor defaulted to 'conservative', 1000hz as my Windows VM's work smoother, etc.) down to 9.1MB deb for linux-image down from 36MB's for defaults. initrd dropped from 19.6MB to 7.3MB's also.
    Ah great, I'll wait for final then and install the backport. My setup (UEFI boot with radeon card) used to need a kernel patch until early versions of 3.2rc, but as of rc7, it's in the kernel, so this will hopefully work! Thanks a lot.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •