Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! SMTP + IMAP +Domain setup

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

HELP! SMTP + IMAP +Domain setup

Situation:

I have an SMTP + IMAP server. This server is behind a firewall with the correct setting for it to work. This server is also connected to the internet via a STATIC IP which comes from my ISP (called hereafter as ISP). Also, I have a web domain registered under a company (called hereafter as domain provider). The DNS settings of my web domain are setup with guides from the internet (A, MX, CNAME).

Problem:
    The server was working fine in the first weeks of operation, the problem occurred when domain checkers blacklisted me.

Sample domains are mxtoolbox. I have found out that my ISP did not give me an RDNS (Reverse DNS) to my domain. Another domain checker tool I found.

As a result, ALL my outgoing emails are blocked by domains such as google, yahoo. But incoming is OK, no problem there.

Ideas considered:
    1) My outgoing email will pass through domain provider but I do not know what to change with my server, DNS settings
    2) Ask my ISP to enable my RDNS

Any ideas are appreciated.
    Laptop: Asus A8LE,Intel dual core T2370 1.7Mhz,DDR2 1GB,Atheros 5007EG,Xubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: HELP! SMTP + IMAP +Domain setup

Quote Originally Posted by balagosa View Post
    Situation:

I have an SMTP + IMAP server. This server is behind a firewall with the correct setting for it to work. This server is also connected to the internet via a STATIC IP which comes from my ISP (called hereafter as ISP). Also, I have a web domain registered under a company (called hereafter as domain provider). The DNS settings of my web domain are setup with guides from the internet (A, MX, CNAME).

Problem:
    The server was working fine in the first weeks of operation, the problem occurred when domain checkers blacklisted me.

Sample domains are mxtoolbox. I have found out that my ISP did not give me an RDNS (Reverse DNS) to my domain. Another domain checker tool I found.

As a result, ALL my outgoing emails are blocked by domains such as google, yahoo. But incoming is OK, no problem there.

Ideas considered:
    1) My outgoing email will pass through domain provider but I do not know what to change with my server, DNS settings
    2) Ask my ISP to enable my RDNS

Any ideas are appreciated.
    Start out by running your own DNS server. Put your mail server as a canonical name to whatever the IP reverses to. That should pass the RDNS qualifications.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by apollothethird View Post
    Start out by running your own DNS server. Put your mail server as a canonical name to whatever the IP reverses to. That should pass the RDNS qualifications.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames
    Thanks for the reply. I am a bit slow with this issue, probably due to the saturation of ideas.
    Do you mind explaining a bit more? Documents, links, guides will be useful.

Edit: (Trying to understand)
    "My own DNS server"
    I already have one but it is internal for the site only and is not exposed to the WAN.

"Mail Server as CNAME"
    The domain provider stated above is capable of an RDNS to their own domain, also to the IP Adress they have provided. So no problem there. I will try to implement this one and add a CNAME record pointing to my mail server.

Edit2: (Tried to implement; I have a feeling my problem could be solved by tweaking my DNS settings on my domain provider)
    "Mail Server as CNAME"
    for example I name the following:
    provider.com as the A record which is capable of RDNS. This is also the default settings given by my domain provider
    mydomain.com as the mail server that I have on my site. An MX record also points to this server
    11.11.11.11 is the IP address given by my domain provider. It is a static address
    22.22.22.22 is the IP address given by my ISP. It is also a static address

provider.com IN A 11.11.11.11
    mail.mydomain.com IN A 22.22.22.22
    web.mydomain.com IN A 22.22.22.22

provider.com IN MX 10 mail.mydomain.com

www.provider.com IN CNAME web.mydomain.com
    --- SHOWN ABOVE IS THE CURRENT SETUP ---

Put your mail server as a canonical name to whatever the IP reverses to.
    This is the part where I do not understand.
    mail.mydomain.com IN CNAME provider.com (Is this what you are referring to?)
    I have read an online document that disallows this.
    Problem? If you have a CNAME entry, make sure that it is the ONLY resource record for that domain. For example, if you have "www.example.com CNAME sparky.example.com", you must not have any A records, MX records, etc. for "www.example.com". [RFC1034 3.6.2] [RFC1912 2.4]
    Last edited by balagosa; January 5th, 2012 at 04:20 AM.
    Laptop: Asus A8LE,Intel dual core T2370 1.7Mhz,DDR2 1GB,Atheros 5007EG,Xubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

no hope?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Adding an SPF record for your domain might help. However the best approach is a static IP and correct reverse resolution for the address.

You could still have problems if your IP falls into a residential address block. If you can relay mail through your provider's SMTP host using your domain (i.e., the provider will forward mail from user@example.com even though the provider's domain is not example.com), that may solve the problem as well. You can just use the ISP's server as your "smart host."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Adding an SPF record for your domain might help. However the best approach is a static IP and correct reverse resolution for the address.

You could still have problems if your IP falls into a residential address block. If you can relay mail through your provider's SMTP host using your domain (i.e., the provider will forward mail from user@example.com even though the provider's domain is not example.com), that may solve the problem as well. You can just use the ISP's server as your "smart host."
    i dont think SPF is the solution here. if you think so, explain to me how.

I am negotiating to use my domain provider as relay. With the Smart Host setup you suggested.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, Balagosa. First I'll mention that I follow the topics where I type until they are closed as solved or the individual indicates he's not looking for my assistance. It might take me a few days at times to get back to the topics where I'm typing. But I'll followup based on my available time.

Thanks for the reply. I am a bit slow with this issue, probably due to the saturation of ideas.
    Do you mind explaining a bit more? Documents, links, guides will be useful.

Edit: (Trying to understand)
    "My own DNS server"
    I already have one but it is internal for the site only and is not exposed to the WAN.
    To resolve the issues you're having, you'll have to have control over the DNS server. This can either be done by your ISP who's DNS server you're using, performing the needed tasks, which you say they are not cooperative with, or setting up your own. Based on your previous message you're left with setting up your own. If it's local only, then you really don't have a usable DNS server. It has to be on the Internet and usable by the world.

"Mail Server as CNAME"
    The domain provider stated above is capable of an RDNS to their own domain, also to the IP Adress they have provided. So no problem there. I will try to implement this one and add a CNAME record pointing to my mail server.

Edit2: (Tried to implement; I have a feeling my problem could be solved by tweaking my DNS settings on my domain provider)
    "Mail Server as CNAME"
    for example I name the following:
    provider.com as the A record which is capable of RDNS. This is also the default settings given by my domain provider
    mydomain.com as the mail server that I have on my site. An MX record also points to this server
    11.11.11.11 is the IP address given by my domain provider. It is a static address
    22.22.22.22 is the IP address given by my ISP. It is also a static address

provider.com IN A 11.11.11.11
    mail.mydomain.com IN A 22.22.22.22
    web.mydomain.com IN A 22.22.22.22

provider.com IN MX 10 mail.mydomain.com

www.provider.com IN CNAME web.mydomain.com
    --- SHOWN ABOVE IS THE CURRENT SETUP ---

Put your mail server as a canonical name to whatever the IP reverses to.
    This is the part where I do not understand.
    mail.mydomain.com IN CNAME provider.com (Is this what you are referring to?)
    I have read an online document that disallows this.
    My recommendation will only work if you setup a DNS server that you have control over. If you're having problems setting up the DNS server (for the Internet, not just your local environment) I can help you with that and go to the next step.

As far as canonical name you can find the resolution of your IP by running host on the IP address:

Code:
    host 50.56.30.217
    Take the resulting host name (in this case, apollo2.apollo3.com) and set your mail server to that canonical name.

Code:
    mysmtp.mydomain.com.    IN CNAME apollo2.apollo3.com.
    i dont think SPF is the solution here. if you think so, explain to me how.
    Actually I think that's the precise solution. The other details of my messages are steps to get there.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by apollothethird View Post
    Hi, Balagosa. First I'll mention that I follow the topics where I type until they are closed as solved or the individual indicates he's not looking for my assistance. It might take me a few days at times to get back to the topics where I'm typing. But I'll followup based on my available time.

To resolve the issues you're having, you'll have to have control over the DNS server. This can either be done by your ISP who's DNS server you're using, performing the needed tasks, which you say they are not cooperative with, or setting up your own. Based on your previous message you're left with setting up your own. If it's local only, then you really don't have a usable DNS server. It has to be on the Internet and usable by the world.

My recommendation will only work if you setup a DNS server that you have control over. If you're having problems setting up the DNS server (for the Internet, not just your local environment) I can help you with that and go to the next step.

As far as canonical name you can find the resolution of your IP by running host on the IP address:

Code:
    host 50.56.30.217
    Take the resulting host name (in this case, apollo2.apollo3.com) and set your mail server to that canonical name.

Code:
    mysmtp.mydomain.com.    IN CNAME apollo2.apollo3.com.
    Actually I think that's the precise solution. The other details of my messages are steps to get there.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames
    I read you reply. This will take time to absorb the info. Also, I did contact my domain provider and they refuse to relay my email for outside. That is one idea to consider down.

An SPF record as the precise solution? I have read guides on the net for SPF1 setup and their requirement is Reverse DNS which I do not have.

Some more edits may take place in my post while I do a trial-error.
    Last edited by balagosa; January 10th, 2012 at 06:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I read you reply. This will take time to absorb the info. Also, I did contact my domain provider and they refuse to relay my email for outside. That is one idea to consider down.
    At a glance it looks like a lot. However, if you will perform the task in steps you'll find it very simple.

The first step is to make DNS server which you mentioned is just for your local network visible to the world.

Your provider won't have anything to do with that, nor do they need to have anything to do with it.

An SPF record as the precise solution? I have read guides on the net for SPF1 setup and their requirement is Reverse DNS which I do not have.

Some more edits may take place in my post while I do a trial-error.
    I won't see the edits that you put into your post. I'll only see the new messages you post. If you have updates after making changes, you'd best put it in a new post. I'll be notified that you have something new and I'll revisit the thread to assist you.

Every thing I mentioned to you are components that are within your control (or the control of the person who registered your domain). That is the person that specifies the IP address of the domain server. So all you have to do is go into your DNS records and specify the Domain Server that you create and maintain as the server of your domain.

If you have a problem with this, just tell me where you're getting stuck.

As far as reverse IP, that's resolved by using the CNAME pointer in your DNS records.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast