Thread: Ubuntu will not install

Beans

Ubuntu will not install

I have tried several ISO discs, some bought and some downloaded versions of Ubuntu (10.4 10.10 and 11 what ever it is, plus others ) and none will install onto a laptop. On each occasion the install gets to the USA or UK keyboard and then just hangs. The laptop has win7 and is a Sony. The try it out part works OK but I don’t think this has much bearing on the situation. Any ideas please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu will not install

how are you trying to install it ? via wubi or side by side? what are the system specs?

edit: i just remembered that there used to be a similar case back in time and user solved it with using alternate CD to install. alternate CD has a text based installer (not graphical). would help if you gave the specs and any error messages though...
    Last edited by mastablasta; January 29th, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Thanks for reply, what I should have mentioned is the fact that win7 will not boot, it also just hangs. The laptop was given to me because of this and I thought if I did a dual boot with Linux like I have with other computers I would have a working computer. Using grub boot and other repair discs has not helped but all have given lots of errors The quickest way out of might be to go into hard drive partitions and delete every thing and try from there. If that fails I have a disc that I have used before that cleans the hard drive thoroughly but takes hours.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

The "lots of errors no matter what you do" scenario you described is often an indication of a failing, or failed, hard drive.

If you can remove the hard drive from this PC, you should do that and connect it, via adapter, to another PC and see what is on the drive.

IF the drive won't mount, or if there is no filesystem it can find, then likely, the drive itself is trashed.

Also, if you can connect the drive to a Windows PC, the major drive manufacturers generally provide a downloadable utility you can run to check out the status of the drive.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.