Thread: equivalent of 'mapping a drive'

Beans

equivalent of 'mapping a drive'

What is the linux equivalent of mapping a drive? For example, if I want an icon to show on the desktop for a connection to my mobileme or ubuntu one files? Can I script this through a batch file?
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: equivalent of 'mapping a drive'

I am afraid that you compare peaches to oranges. Usually, when 'mapping a drive', it is implied that the Windows printing and sharing protocol is in use, the equivalent of which is Samba in Linux.

Ubuntu One doesn't use Samba, so what about that 'my mobileme' thing? Does it use Samba?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by JeremySchubert View Post
    What is the linux equivalent of mapping a drive? For example, if I want an icon to show on the desktop for a connection to my mobileme or ubuntu one files? Can I script this through a batch file?
    Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Hmm, I'm not logged in to Ubuntu right now but you should be able to right click your Ubuntu One folder and create a link. You can then copy that link to the desktop folder.
    "You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself."
    -- Sam Levenson
    Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E8020D | Triple booting CrunchBang, Ubuntu and Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

if you wish to create an icon on desktop perform some task it is called 'create a launcher '

While to "map a drive" there are different ways to do it depending where the folder is hosted smb for windows share and ftp or there is even simple mount tool which mounts the folder in a location.

Beans

Problem solved...turns out I was using the wrong words. Using Google to search for "linux how to mount mobileme" took me to http://www.chrisdanielson.com/2009/0...dav-and-linux/. Then, to create a shortcut to the mounted folder I followed the instructions at http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/11/...neiric-ocelot/.

Basic Instructions

1. Install the package, davfs2
    2. Using a command like 'sudo pico fstab' modify etc/fstab to include the following line at the bottom (replace {account_name} with your account name)
    https://idisk.mac.com/{account_name} /mnt/idisk davfs rw,noauto,user 0 0
    4. In terminal then you can use the command sudo mount /mnt/idisk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you want that to show on the desktop you should create your mount point in /media instead of /mnt, btw.