Thread: [Dual Boot] How get two linux operating systems on one laptop?

Beans

Question [Dual Boot] How get two linux operating systems on one laptop?

So I have Ubuntu linux 10.4 on my laptop right now, but I would like to have another linux version aswell on this laptop, how can I do this?

I imagine I have to use a dual boot to do this, but since I have never done anything like this before I am asking for your help.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I just have no idea where I should have posted this

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: [Dual Boot] How get two linux operating systems on one laptop?

yep - dualboot or if you have sufficient specs try virtual machines.

If you do want to dualboot then - BACKUP

Not sure what you want to dualboot so not sure if it's got partition editor tools - I expect so.

Basically I would resize the current install partition to allow enough space for whatever you want to install, then install to that partition.

Generic advice - but as yet no real idea of what you have there to deal with

Give us the output of

sudo fdisk -l

as a start.

What do you hope ot dualboot with - or are you expecting to try more than one OS.
    Death was standing behind a lectern, poring over a map. He looked at Mort as if he wasn't entirely there.
    You haven't heard of the Bay of Mante, have you? he said.
    'No, sir,' said Mort.
    'Famous shipwreck there.'
    'Was there?'
    'There will be', said Death, 'if I can find the damn place.'

Beans

I put a screenshot of the output I'm getting when I do sudo fdisk -l under this post.

Basically I would like to dual boot Backtrack Linux as second OS (or Linux Mint)

I don't really think this laptop has enough power to run it on a virtual machine, so I think dual boot would be a better option
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Boot with the livecd - go to the partition editor - right click sda1 - resize - apply.

Create new partition in the unallocated space. Make not of name - possibly sda3

Start the installer - when you reach the partition part - select your new partition - you'll need to edit/change it - you will wnt to set mountpoint to /

If possible also set grub to the new partition if you want your ubuntu to control grub.

Install.

Backup anything you'd not want to lose - just in case something goes awry in the resizing operation.
    Death was standing behind a lectern, poring over a map. He looked at Mort as if he wasn't entirely there.
    You haven't heard of the Bay of Mante, have you? he said.
    'No, sir,' said Mort.
    'Famous shipwreck there.'
    'Was there?'
    'There will be', said Death, 'if I can find the damn place.'