Thread: Need help installing game from disk.

Beans

Need help installing game from disk.

Hello, I am fairly new to Ubuntu, and loving the features except for one thing, installing. As you probably figured out, I just switched from windows 7, it just gives me way to many problems. I just got the game Skyrim from a torrent from isohunt.com, and burned it to DVD-R DL(Double Layer). When I try to run the install.exe file on wine, it just freezes up. When I try to make the file an executable file, it doesn't allow me to change it from a read only file. Any help at all would be awesome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Need help installing game from disk.

the forums do not support piracy of any kind, thus you cannot expect any help with that particular question.

p.s. support the game developers and buy the game...
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans

Please, I jut want some help. I'm not doing this to create any problems.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kill3rklown View Post
    Hello, I am fairly new to Ubuntu, and loving the features except for one thing, installing. As you probably figured out, I just switched from windows 7, it just gives me way to many problems. I just got the game Skyrim from a torrent from isohunt.com, and burned it to DVD-R DL(Double Layer). When I try to run the install.exe file on wine, it just freezes up. When I try to make the file an executable file, it doesn't allow me to change it from a read only file. Any help at all would be awesome!
    wow that's sooo coooool. too bad wine won't be able to run that kind of graphics..... may I suggest you MINECRAFT! the graphics is impressive too.... that's right I said "impressive" ..... .

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

So, I tried installing a game that I bought called morrowind, but I can't even install that. Whats going on?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kill3rklown View Post
    So, I tried installing a game that I bought called morrowind, but I can't even install that. Whats going on?
    for games and windows native programs i suggest you to keep a windows partition available on your hhd. Have a pc with 2 system ubuntu and win7. Same ppl will tell you to try with wine , this and that program... it's just not worth the time and the energy to go around something that is not supposed to work on a different system . If you still have win available in your pc use that partition. This is also truth if you need to use Adobe CS5 and Microsoft Office 2010. You can use all the software you want (linux & Win app ) just keep both systems in your pc..

this is a HOW-TO for dual boot.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

blog
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

First off, don't pirate. Bad bad juju. The game developers could also use the support---if everyone pirated the game, that's them going out of business and no more Elder Scrolls games.

Second, your issue is probably that Wine isn't magical (unfortunately). There are some things it just can't do, and I'm guessing this is one of them.

Third, I'd suggest re-reading the lovely Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct, specifically, the part that says:

We do not support circumventing TOS, EULA, etc here. Such threads will be closed and offending users will be penalised with infractions and warnings.
    P.S. Wasn't Morrowind made for WinXP?

Beans
    Distro

Bad bad juju
    :L LOL...i love that! I will add it to my private dictonary....

blog
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans
    Hidden!

As has been pointed out, we don't support piracy here. Thread closed.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog