Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Enable Webcam in Ubuntu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Beans
    3

    Enable Webcam in Ubuntu

    Hello,

    I'm very new to Ubuntu, and have desperately been trying to get my webcam to work. I have a Gear Head WC735I webcam, and I am on Ubuntu 11.10. I plugged it in, and it is working with Cheese, but will not work at www.testmycam.com or any similar service. It is not recognized when I enter "lsusb".

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Enable Webcam in Ubuntu

    Hello & welcome to Ubuntu and the forums,

    If the webcam works in Cheese, then it sounds like it is being detected by the computer.

    If you try:

    Code:
    sudo lsusb -v
    The camera should be listed, you can try:

    Code:
    sudo lsusb -v | grep Camera
    sudo lsusb -v | grep Webcam
    to filter the output.

    With regard to testmycam.com - are you able to click the "Allow" box in the Flash applet? It sounds more like a Flash problem than an issue with the webcam.
    Matt
    blog.mattrudge.net for extra helpings of geeky Ubuntu goodness
    Get the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Beans
    589
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Enable Webcam in Ubuntu

    It'd probably be best to be case insensitive when filtering lsusb:
    Code:
    sudo lsusb|grep -iE 'camera|webcam'
    I'll agree, though, that is sounds like the problem is with Flash configuration.
    Locke
    Try Dropbox, it's FREE! (gratis) http://db.tt/J7Sm9iC
    Try Dropbox experimental build updater http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=12153

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Beans
    3

    Re: Enable Webcam in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by lechien73 View Post
    Hello & welcome to Ubuntu and the forums,

    If the webcam works in Cheese, then it sounds like it is being detected by the computer.

    If you try:

    Code:
    sudo lsusb -v
    The camera should be listed, you can try:

    Code:
    sudo lsusb -v | grep Camera
    sudo lsusb -v | grep Webcam
    to filter the output.

    With regard to testmycam.com - are you able to click the "Allow" box in the Flash applet? It sounds more like a Flash problem than an issue with the webcam.

    Thanks. Here is what I got from the filtered results:

    iProduct 2 Vimicro USB Camera (Altair)
    iFunction 2 Vimicro USB Camera (Altair)
    iInterface 2 Vimicro USB Camera (Altair)
    wTerminalType 0x0201 Camera Sensor

    I am not able to click "Allow" when visiting the website. It states that there is no camera detected.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Enable Webcam in Ubuntu

    Ok, so your webcam is definitely being detected by Ubuntu. The WC735I shows up as a Vimicro USB Camera (Altair).

    So, this is probably an issue with Flash. You do need an up-to-date version for webcam and microphone capture to work "properly" (I use the word "properly" with serious reservations )

    If you visit http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/, what version of Flash does it say is installed?
    Matt
    blog.mattrudge.net for extra helpings of geeky Ubuntu goodness
    Get the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Beans
    3

    Re: Enable Webcam in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by lechien73 View Post
    Ok, so your webcam is definitely being detected by Ubuntu. The WC735I shows up as a Vimicro USB Camera (Altair).

    So, this is probably an issue with Flash. You do need an up-to-date version for webcam and microphone capture to work "properly" (I use the word "properly" with serious reservations )

    If you visit http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/, what version of Flash does it say is installed?
    Thanks. It says that I have version 11,1,102,55 installed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Enable Webcam in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkRobbins View Post
    Thanks. It says that I have version 11,1,102,55 installed.
    Well...that's pretty recent

    Maybe this site might help you: http://www.swift-tools.net/Flashcam/ the package they have available for download creates a virtual device for Flash to use. Since your cam is detected and working in Ubuntu, this might fix the problem.

    Please let us know how it goes
    Matt
    blog.mattrudge.net for extra helpings of geeky Ubuntu goodness
    Get the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •