Thread: Which are the most important security add-ons for firefox?

Beans

Which are the most important security add-ons for firefox?

Opinions will vary on this issue but I just want to see what others think about this. I have no-script and adblock-plus. I wonder should I also install these: betterprivacy, flashblock, nuke anything enhanced, adblock plus pop-up, browse protect, eraser. In case one keeps installing add-ons, at some stage there may be clash among these add-ons. So which are the most needed add-ons out of those listed here or are there any other add-on(s) one should consider?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Which are the most important security add-ons for firefox?

I think Web of Trust (WOT) is probably sufficient if you already have NoScript. Although the opinions on WOT are sometimes extreme (they seem to bash anything to do with advertising), it can give a heads-up.

Firefox and other browsers already catch on fast to phishing sites.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm simple I only use two Firefox addons. NoScript and Tamperdata although the latter isn't really for "security" in the terms you're thinking.

I've heard both good and bad things about WOT. Truthfully I don't really need an addon to give me a review of a website so I don't use it.

Hopefully OpSecShellshock will search their username at some point and post here, because they had posted a very complete list of useful addons in a thread I'm too lazy to search for

IMO the one you REALLY need is NoScript, the others are pretty much optional in my opinion. Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Absolutely would suggest NoScript most of all, then AdBlock Plus (and it's changed in the latest version, something about "unobtrusive" ads being allowed now, but there's a check box in the preferences to make those go away as well). I use BetterPrivacy just in case I have Flash objects that I allow. Happens from time to time. Those are the only ones that are probably completely necessary in my opinion. NoScript blocks Flash, Java, Javascript and other things already, so there's no need for anything separate to address those scripts or objects.

I don't personally get anything from WOT, but if you have a search-oriented browsing style it might be beneficial. Standard caveats about reputation services based on user input apply of course.

Beans

I would recommend betterprivacy to automatically delete flash cookies; but the rest of the ones yoiu mentioned seem redundant especially flashblock. Noscript blocks flash already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My add-ons: 1. NoScript 2.ABP 3.WOT 4.BetterPrivacy 5.Spamavert 6.Webutation 7.BrowserProtect 8.FoxyProxy with tor (I need it because I'm on a forum where it blocks my own IP address). 9.IP shower 10.BugMeNot