Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: asus k53tA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: asus k53tA

I had no luck installing Ubuntu on this laptop, I have tried the alternate edition as well. Also added nomodeset to kernel but all I get is blank screen on boot. Only beta 12.04 works but after installing Catalyst, playing any movies blanks the screen and logs the machine out.

Same results with Fedora, PCLOS, LMDE and SUSE, only arch based Chakra with latest open source video stack came to the rescue. It installs fine but has issues with the wireless, after a dist-upgrade, everything works fine and fast, Catalyst installs and runs without hitches, full HDMI videos with VLC consume around 12% average CPU. So for anyone using this laptop, Chakra is the answer for Linux world. Chakra also uses latest kernel so all features of CPU and dual GPU in this laptop gets supported better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 12.04 beta will run this laptop but installing AMD post release crashes Jockey although after reboot AMD driver seems to be working. xvba-video driver is old and I can't tell if its working with VLC with GPU acceleration enabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Ubuntu 12.04 should work fine. unfortunately, the proprietary AMD drivers have been getting steadily worse for the asus k53ta. i'd advise you to stick with catalyst 11.8 if possible.

Edit: I just tested 12.3 and it works perfectly for me. 2D is fast, suspend works and 3D is amazingly good! It's a huge jump in performance from 11.8 to 12.3. I ran the Unigine Sanctuary benchmark with 11.8 FPS and it was crawling at around 10 FPS with all settings low but with Catalyst 12.3, I got around 80-100 FPS in the same settings! Everything is smooth and works properly (including video acceleration through XVBA)
    Last edited by sandy8925; April 24th, 2012 at 05:29 AM.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: asus k53tA

[QUOTE=spantch101;11580150]ok so i have been using ubuntu on my toshiba satellite and asus k50id for the past few years now, with a lot of trial and error learning with this amazing OS, but i just went and bought a new k53TA from asus and i cannot run 64 bit as soon as the loading screen comes up asking to install the os no matter my choice my screen goes black, i have tried using directly from live cd and i know its running and i can hear the system sounds but no visual at all its like zero power going to my lcd ... any ideas ? my specs are as follows :

ASUS K53TA:
    amd A6 3400m Quad Core 1.4/2.3ghz
    4gb ram ddr3
    Radeon HD6720G2 1GB
    500GB
    Win7 Premium 64 bit

Any Ideas? i can run 32 bit ubuntu for now i guess, but i want to take advantage of my full 4 gb plus i have another 4gb to put in so i'd like to get 64 bit working. thanks in advance.[/QUOTE

there is alternate download for amd laptop. the problem is related with the kernal ver 3.. try ubuntu 12.04 using kernal 3.2. which is fixed this bug.

i provide the link here...
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...tive-downloads

download this file from the list...
    ubuntu-12.04-alternate-amd64.iso.torrent

read the ubuntu 12.04 release carefully...

especially about kernal

note this line
    On systems with an ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card the system will boot to a black screen. As a work around edit the kernel command line in the boot loader and add "nomodeset". (725580)

after installation press e for edit the grub menu... here add nomodeset at the end....
    now reboot...
    the problem will solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12