Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: asus k53tA

Beans

asus k53tA

ok so i have been using ubuntu on my toshiba satellite and asus k50id for the past few years now, with a lot of trial and error learning with this amazing OS, but i just went and bought a new k53TA from asus and i cannot run 64 bit as soon as the loading screen comes up asking to install the os no matter my choice my screen goes black, i have tried using directly from live cd and i know its running and i can hear the system sounds but no visual at all its like zero power going to my lcd ... any ideas ? my specs are as follows :

ASUS K53TA:
    amd A6 3400m Quad Core 1.4/2.3ghz
    4gb ram ddr3
    Radeon HD6720G2 1GB
    500GB
    Win7 Premium 64 bit

Any Ideas? i can run 32 bit ubuntu for now i guess, but i want to take advantage of my full 4 gb plus i have another 4gb to put in so i'd like to get 64 bit working. thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: asus k53tA

Install the PAE for the 32bit version, you will get full memory support but the speed sucks ball. As for the black screen on the 64bit, did you try to run it from a CD/USB?

Beans

I also have the problem with the black screen on 64-bit Ubuntu 11.10. I have tried installing off of a USB as well as the wubi installer, with the same result.
    Last edited by odu dan; January 28th, 2012 at 03:29 AM.

Beans

I believe the black screen is a result of the Ubuntu installation lacking the proper display driver for the A6-3400 integrated GPU. I will try to confirm this by looking up whether or not users of other laptops with AMD APUs also have trouble.

Otherwise, how could this proprietary driver http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx , released a few days ago, be included in the installation if the CD or USB method is used?

Beans

Guys i have the same laptop and the same problem.The gpu sends the graphics to the HDMI port and not to the display of the laptop.You can see the graphics if you connect the laptop to an external monitor via HDMI cable.
    Does anyone know how can i make the laptop display the default display?

Beans

Thanks for pointing out that HDMI works.

After installing Ubuntu using a separate HDMI display, simply use the "Additional Drivers" tool and download the ATI proprietary driver that is available. Restart the computer, and then Ubuntu will use the laptop's display. Unplug your HDMI and you're good to go!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by odu dan View Post
    Thanks for pointing out that HDMI works.

After installing Ubuntu using a separate HDMI display, simply use the "Additional Drivers" tool and download the ATI proprietary driver that is available. Restart the computer, and then Ubuntu will use the laptop's display. Unplug your HDMI and you're good to go!
    Have you tried this?Can i install these drivers into my live persistent USB drive?I dont want to install ubuntu in my hard drive yet,maybe later.

Beans

It works fine. I am a noob and have no clue how to include the driver on a USB installation. I had to use a separate monitor.

Make sure its just the regular proprietary driver, and not the one that says "(post-release updates)" as that one does not work.

Beans

Beware, there appears to be a bad update distributed through Update Manager. Browsing through the 324 available updates, I'm not sure which one it is. This bad update breaks the computer's ability to boot up into Ubuntu. The error given is

"Stopping crash report" [fail]

...or something along those lines.

You are still able to boot into recovery mode, however.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hello everyone. I have this laptop as well. There was a bug in Linux kernel 3.0 because of which the display doesn't work on this laptop (and some others as well). However this has been fixed in Linux kernel 3.2. Apparently, Ubuntu kernel 3.0.0-16 works, so please try installing it. If you need to install Ubuntu 11.10, I suggest installing Ubuntu 11.04 and upgrading to ubuntu 11.10 (but make sure that you install either the 3.0.0-16 kernel or compile and install Linux 3.2 kernel before rebooting after upgrading - preferably install before doing the upgrade).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast