Thread: FoxyProxy sat on a wall... And did nothing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

FoxyProxy sat on a wall... And did nothing!

Hello, I have been using the FoxyProxy add-on for some time now, and I was falsely led to believe the add-on would prevent websites from gaining my IP. However, a little digging up and I found that it does not work. Apparently, FoxyProxy does no proxying in itself- it simply makes firefox use a REAL proxy like tor. However, when I try to run tor from the command line (Terminal):
    Code:
    tor
    I get: Is tor already in use? I don't think it is. Preload tells me it is running, but if it is, why is it not working? Does anyone know any program or add-on that will prevent websites from gaining access to my IP address? Or how to get tor working?

Beans

Re: FoxyProxy sat on a wall... And did nothing!

You can either set foxy proxy to use tor or you can supply it with proxies. Just find some proxies on the internet that you want to use and put them in foxy proxy. If you do not intend on switching proxies constantly then you can just do this in Firefox directly too without an external addon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dodo3773 View Post
    You can either set foxy proxy to use tor or you can supply it with proxies. Just find some proxies on the internet that you want to use and put them in foxy proxy. If you do not intend on switching proxies constantly then you can just do this in Firefox directly too without an external addon.
    Thanks, I'll search for one then. In the meantime, Hide My @$$(Filter: That's not the actual name) has been working on most sites. EDITo you know any proxy for FP then?
    Last edited by 0011235813; January 2nd, 2012 at 03:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@dodo: Thank you! I managed to get FoxyProxy up and running properly this time. Pity, it's rather slow. Unless anyone knows a fast proxy&server?(free)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 0011235813 View Post
    @dodo: Thank you! I managed to get FoxyProxy up and running properly this time. Pity, it's rather slow. Unless anyone knows a fast proxy&server?(free)
    Keep your eye on blackhatworld.com As soon as new proxies are listed they are decent. They slow down and get messed up just like all the rest though. Also, the site goes up and down that is normal for them.