Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which JAVA to Choose?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Which JAVA to Choose?

I understand why Oracle’s Sun Java JDK packages were removed from the Ubuntu partner repositories and disabled on users systems. However, many applications and web sites do not function properly using openjdk-6. I know I can manually install sun-java, but I prefer my installations via the Canonical. It is my understanding that openjdk-7 will soon be available via the Canonical. There was an earlier quote, “Oracle themselves will be using OpenJDK as the basis for their own future releases.”. Does this mean openjdk-7 will fix all the incompatibilities between Sun and OpenJDK?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Which JAVA to Choose?

Quote Originally Posted by feartheterrapin View Post
    I know I can manually install sun-java, but I prefer my installations via the Canonical. It is my understanding that openjdk-7 will soon be available via the Canonical.
    openjdk is already in the Ubuntu repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I installed Oracle Java 7 manually and I can wait now for Canonical to find a solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by BC59 View Post
    I installed Oracle Java 7 manually and I can wait now for Canonical to find a solution.
    Is it Canonical's responsibility to find a solution to a problem that is not in their hands? Canonical has nothing to do with either Java program. Software developers and Oracle need to work together to find a solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Is it Canonical's responsibility to find a solution to a problem that is not in their hands? Canonical has nothing to do with either Java program. Software developers and Oracle need to work together to find a solution.
    I think Canonical and oracle both have to sort out the mess...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Oracle, in retiring the ‘Operating System Distributor License for Java’, means Canonical no longer have permission to distribute the package.
    Oracle already answered and now has nothing to do.
    The developers have nothing to do with the legal issues.
    Canonical is building Ubuntu so they have to find a solution for their OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by feartheterrapin View Post
    ...Does this mean openjdk-7 will fix all the incompatibilities between Sun and OpenJDK?
    Moving to OpenJDK as the official Java SE 7 Reference Implementation
    ...In line with our strategy towards a more open Java ecosystem, we are going to provide a Reference Implementation that is based entirely on the OpenJDK open source code and make it available under the GPL open source license.

The role of the Reference Implementation (RI) is to be used as the gold standard for all Java implementations...

Beans

A lot of programs require JRE Java or what some people call Sun Java. If needed the manual way is the only way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    A lot of programs require JRE Java or what some people call Sun Java. If needed the manual way is the only way.
    What I am understanding is that the incompatibilities between JRE (Sun) JAVA and Open-JDK are anticipated to remain through the next Open-JDK release. Is that a fair analysis?

Beans

You need to use the java that works for you. Sun (JRE Java) will not be updated through the Repositories anymore as they lost the lic to do so. It must be done manually now. If you are a gamer or have programs that require the latest Java or JRE Java then you will need to update manually. You will find this with all Linux versions with what I seen and have read from all the different OS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast