Thread: Razor-qt / openbox 11.10 system from minimal cd?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Razor-qt / openbox 11.10 system from minimal cd?

Does anyone have any thoughts on installing a razor-qt / openbox based system from a minimal cd? I want to avoid as many KDE and GNOME bits as possible, but I want to use terminator, and I need to be able to use usb-modeswitch, so I guess wicd is ruled out for networking. I also need a replacement for gedit, that has most of the same features, including auto spell checking (11.04 or earlier, no auto spell check in ll.10). Kate could be a possibility, but I am not sure how many dependencies it would drag in. Lastly, I need for the mounting of USB storage devices to work out of the box. This is often an issue when installing from a minimal cd.
    Peppermint OS Four - Dell Vostro 3350, Peppermint OS Three - Acer Aspire One 725 & Asus Eee PC 1015BX, Ubuntu 12.04 - home built AMD desktop,
    Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Razor-qt / openbox 11.10 system from minimal cd?

Quote Originally Posted by casbahdk View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts on installing a razor-qt / openbox based system from a minimal cd? I want to avoid as many KDE and GNOME bits as possible, but I want to use terminator, and I need to be able to use usb-modeswitch, so I guess wicd is ruled out for networking. I also need a replacement for gedit, that has most of the same features, including auto spell checking (11.04 or earlier, no auto spell check in ll.10). Kate could be a possibility, but I am not sure how many dependencies it would drag in. Lastly, I need for the mounting of USB storage devices to work out of the box. This is often an issue when installing from a minimal cd.
    I have never worked with the minimal CD (but I did work with Arch, which is more minimal than Ubuntu minimal). But I can think of the following:

• you need a display manager. I guess GDM or KDM will pull a lot of dependencies you don't want, so you could try with lightDM
    • You don't want to use KDE apps (such as Kate or Okular), as they will also ask a lot of dependencies

For pure QT apps, check out this thread: http://forum.pinguyos.com/Thread-Raz...op-Environment

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply and the link. I'll try to stay away from the KDE apps. Happy New Year
    Peppermint OS Four - Dell Vostro 3350, Peppermint OS Three - Acer Aspire One 725 & Asus Eee PC 1015BX, Ubuntu 12.04 - home built AMD desktop,

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Razor-qt / openbox 11.10 system from minimal cd?

I don't know much about your specific app requirements, but Archbang uses OpenBox with the slim login manager for a very slim (pun intended) installation. I wonder what Crunchbang uses? I am guessing it is fairly similar.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I don't know much about your specific app requirements, but Archbang uses OpenBox with the slim login manager for a very slim (pun intended) installation. I wonder what Crunchbang uses? I am guessing it is fairly similar.

Tim
    Cheers. According to corenominal, he has switched from GDM to Slim, with the latest Statler images.

Beans
    Distro

I stumbled across this today, for anyone that is interested:

Ubuntu Razor-qt Remix