Thread: USB Boot CD --> For booting Mac from Live USB

Beans

USB Boot CD --> For booting Mac from Live USB

This post on pendrivelinux.com details how to do it for 9.10 and 10.04

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/make-a-...r-ubuntu-9-10/

Is anyone able to modify this for use with 11.10? I have been unable.

I need this for a graduate class I am teaching on F/OSS in Education, and I want my Mac-using students to be able to do what their PC-using classmates can do... namely get introduced to using Ubuntu 11.10 without touching their hard drives.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: USB Boot CD --> For booting Mac from Live USB

Wouldn't it be easier to use the existing liveCD and boot from that? At least this works in most cases.

Beans

That would work, except it's too slow as an alternative to live usb (which can work as a pretty fast operating environment)
    Last edited by windfix; December 30th, 2011 at 10:23 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by windfix View Post
    This post on pendrivelinux.com details how to do it for 9.10 and 10.04

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/make-a-...r-ubuntu-9-10/

Is anyone able to modify this for use with 11.10? I have been unable.

I need this for a graduate class I am teaching on F/OSS in Education, and I want my Mac-using students to be able to do what their PC-using classmates can do... namely get introduced to using Ubuntu 11.10 without touching their hard drives.
    I have searched the net looking for a way to do this and tried lots and lots of times with absolutely no success at all. At least the Live CD works!

Beans

Yes, the method described at pendrivelinux does work, however, for 10.04.

I too have scoured for a method that works, and that's the only one that does. Seems like someone who understands the method could update it:

"The USB Boot CD you create via this tutorial will contain the USB drivers necessary to open a USB connection. GRUB is used to launch initrd (Initial Ram Filesystem) from the CD. The Initial Ram Filesystem then locates the squash filesystem and persistent casper-rw persistence block file on the USB device and proceeds to boot the Live USB Persistent environment."

I did put in a request on the pendrivelinux contact form... maybe you can too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

this should do it : http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagerdl.html

unzip > burn the iso inside the folder into a cd > plug the live-usb-disk and insert the boot-cd into the computer > when you start up the computer from the disk it will bring you a menu to choose wich device to boot from (usb/hdd/cdrom/etc)>select usb

hope this works for the mac too, since i don't have one I cannot not test it but I did test it on pc that don't boot from usb and it works fine.

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

So Happy, thanks!

fdrake, Thanks!!

This totally works. I am replying from a MacBook Pro running 11.10 off of USB. This will save me so many headaches while introducing students to F/OSS... they can all use their own laptops, run from USB, and I'll never need to touch their hard drives - even the Mac users.

Thread solved!