Thread: GNU Emacs' problem on X11 : crash ERR_MSG "Font `Ubuntu Mono 13' is not defined"

Beans

Question GNU Emacs' problem on X11 : crash ERR_MSG "Font `Ubuntu Mono 13' is not defined"

I got an GNU Emacs' problem, it can't work on X11 and crashes with a message "Font `Ubuntu Mono 13' is not defined" but it works fine without X, more Xemacs can run without problem, GNU Emacs is a version 23.2.1 and Xemacs is a [version 21.4.22; August 2010]

I saw on another forum post it could be related with a missign "ttf-ubuntu-font-family" or some error in .emacs file or .emacs.d/ folder but my problem is not related with these "ttf-ubuntu-font-family" as they are installed and it makes no help then i have no .emacs file and .emacs.d/ folder is empty.
    I saw also on emacs' man that it looks for fonts in /usr/lib/X11/fonts and that folder didn't exist but i made a link between /usr/share/fonts/X11 and /usr/lib/X11/fonts and that made no help.

The problem seems to be related with my user's profile cause it works fine with an other user's profile on the same system (the .emacs.d/ folder on that account is the same than mine.

Does anybody have some ideas ?

Beans

Re: GNU Emacs' problem on X11 : crash ERR_MSG "Font `Ubuntu Mono 13' is not defined"

I had the same problem. Removing X resources worked around it. In particular, there is an Emacs related X resource setting shown on "xrdb -query" output:

Emacs.FontBackend: x

An "xrdb -remove" worked around the immediate problem, but not sure what's the real issue. Perhaps some fonts missing...

Dino