Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Login Broken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Login Broken

Quote Originally Posted by alladnsane View Post
    .... I will begin tomorrow morning (9pm here now in Ontario, Canada) collecting config files and testing adding folders back to alladnsane 1 at a time.
    Excellent work Pal!!! But don't worry about bundling files up for me to have a squiz at because the methodology you describe means that you will know which file(s) bork your login, when they bork it again it will be the last file(s) you put back and that identifies them as the files that really need to be reviewed.

Due what I think lives in (and is done in) ~/.gnupg it is pretty weird (to me at least) that it seems to be where the trail breaks in xsession errors - basic upshot, I would very much appreciate a squiz at the contents of the gpg-agent-info-alladnsane-desktop file indicated by that log.

Repeat: Please disregard previous request/advice to bundle up all possibly relevant config files, just show me the ones that re-break your login when you put them back

(Well done on spotting shortcut btw - dunno why it didn't occur to me that everything could be moved together (config and personal files) safely enough.)
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robsoles View Post
    Excellent work Pal!!! But don't worry about bundling files up for me to have a squiz at because the methodology you describe means that you will know which file(s) bork your login, when they bork it again it will be the last file(s) you put back and that identifies them as the files that really need to be reviewed.
    Well looks like all is good. After a bit of finagling got everything copied back to /home/alladnsane. Nothing killed it again which is really wierd unless I missed something.
    The only things I can think of are :
    - I missed something when copying back to home
    - ~/.pulse/ but copied the old one over (which was empty b/c of #sudo rm -R ~/.pulse).
    - libsane-hpaio.so.1.0.0T and hpmudext.soT were chowned from root:root to user:user (not a likely culprit)
    - made blank /etc/gdm/custom.conf
    - my possible incompetence at following directions earlier in the thread and later fumbling ineptitude
    I am about to start changing the above back to their original states (other than the .pulse and thing b/c never made a copy of the original)

@all ALWAYS #cp /path/to/filename /path/to/filename.saved-myself-a-lot-of-grief-by-having-a-copy-of-original BEFORE you #rm /path/to/filename

I would very much appreciate a squiz at the contents of the gpg-agent-info-alladnsane-desktop file indicated by that log.
    I have attached this. I am now getting a whole bunch of new errors in ~/.xessions-errors file. Maybe I'll let you off the hook and start a new thread although I attached it anyway

Repeat: Please disregard previous request/advice to bundle up all possibly relevant config files, just show me the ones that re-break your login when you put them back
    I figured as much

(Well done on spotting shortcut btw - dunno why it didn't occur to me that everything could be moved together (config and personal files) safely enough.)
    Thank-you, but I don't know if safely is accurate. Yes I got it to work and everything seems ok (fingers crossed) but using #gksudo nautilus to copy other users home folder turned everything to owned by root. I fixed this by #sudo chown -R user:user ~/test-brokenness, and for some reason everything copied into the new folder but several files wouldn't copy back out to home folder with "cannot copy special file" error. These I had to move directly instead of copying back;
    Code:
    ~/.config/gxine/socket
    ~/.config/xpad/server
    ~/.MultiGet
    ~/.gvfs  ##this one was busy so had to move and chown from other user

Well I have reinstalled Skype and timidity via synaptic, and added the saved sessions for skype and hp-systray back into ~/gnome-sessions/saved-sesions. I also renamed the folder ~/.recently-used.xbel bc ~/.xsession-errors was complaining about not being able to write to it because it was a directory.
    All seems to be working ok with no clue whatsoever as to what killed it in the first place

Thank-you very much for all your time and effort (and patience for my learning curve in console ) Would never have gotten here without your help. Unless you think otherwise I am going to mark this thread as solved. Solved in a very ugly way but nonetheless working. Hopefully when I attempt to plug my new logitech webcam in it doesn't break again
    EDIT:Logitech c270 webcam works great out of the box for both audio and video. Wish I had used it in first place
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by alladnsane; January 11th, 2012 at 02:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Oh, yeah, that rooted nautilus idea was just to collect files to give me a squiz - if I had realised you used that to move alladnsane's folders I would have been able to let you know that some of the config files may not go back too easily etc etc.

When I used the words "safely enough" before I was thinking more of your personal data rather than config files (config & such come from installers and the like - personal files come from *you*).

Due encryption alladnsane must login for root to (have a chance) be able to see his files but to manipulate alladnsane's files (specifically config files) it would be better to boot from a LiveCD but the process for mounting a user's encrypted home folders is uglier again so the risk that certain files would be in use (by alladnsane) as you try to put them back is high, especially if logged into GUI as alladnsane as more of the config files are in use when that is so.

The 'problem' file probably got 'mashed' out of contention (as a problem) by the system using a copy of it (which was working) while you move/copied it back - system could have written the good copy (which it made as you logged in) back over the bad copy in reaction to some event, such as you logging out and back in again.

~/.gvfs is special to the point of (in a way) not really existing.

I do not think otherwise, it isn't the best way a thread/problem I got involved in got solved but (as far as is sensible to invest time in, yours and mine) the title of this thread has been satisfied so...
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456