Thread: Mint rollback to Ubuntu

Beans

Mint rollback to Ubuntu

I had someone help me with my computer hardware and they changed me over from Ubuntu to Mint by surprise (!), but having tried it for a month I really don't like it and want to get back to classic Ubuntu. Can anyone advise me on how I can change back? I can pull all my personal files onto an external drive and put them back later, so I think a clean install might be my best option. Any help much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Mint rollback to Ubuntu

There is some advice in the link in my signature.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would say a clean install is your only option. While Mint is based on Ubuntu I would think that attempting to do an in-place switch will end in a complete mess. So my advise is that you backup your stuff and do a fresh installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by 2f4u View Post
    i would say a clean install is your only option. While mint is based on ubuntu i would think that attempting to do an in-place switch will end in a complete mess. So my advise is that you backup your stuff and do a fresh installation.
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Someone has to advice the users about this problem. They give the idea to install MATE and finally you convert Ubuntu to LinuxMint. There is no way back. It cost you a few hours of work to reinstall everything.

Beans

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've got hold of a live disc and I'm backing up all my files prior to doing a fresh install. Pretty sure it's fairly bullet proof even for a real noob like me so I figure it's worth a try. Appreciate you guys taking the time to help me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I recommend creating a separate /home partition during the installation. Later updates to a new version, recommend a fresh install, will allow you to keep your files and they would integrate right into the new install.