Thread: Audio Trouble

Beans

Audio Trouble

I've followed all the guides I could find online and have even asked in #Ubuntu, but so far, I haven't been able to get my audio to work. Here's what's happened:

I recently reinstalled Ubuntu 11.04 because my previous install was practically unusable (another problem, but that doesn't matter). When I found that the audio wasn't working, I fixed it, using this guide here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...otingProcedure

I used the Natty command, it downloaded and installed ~200MB of stuff, and when I rebooted, the audio was working fine.

I installed some other applications after that. (Calibre, libtorrent, emacs, truecrypt, vlc). Next day I noticed the sound was gone again, but this time, the gnome audio control was not working.(It showed me this warning: gnome volume control warning connection failed).

I tried the troubleshooting command again, and after a reboot, the audio control was back, but since then, I haven't been able to hear any sound. I do hear a slight "pop" when I try to play any music, but that's it.

Here is my alsa info : http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=f0...0a5b0f4c9e76fa

I'll appreciate any help on this problem. It's been a frustrating week because of this.

EDIT:

If I try that long troubleshoot command again, I get this output:

E: Unable to locate package linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.38-13-generic
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.38-13-generic'
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.38-13-generic
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.38-13-generic'
    Last edited by ishu161; December 30th, 2011 at 03:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Audio Trouble

Play with alsamixer and make sure nothing's muted
    Code:
    alsamixer

Beans

I made sure that alsamixer configurations are correct, so unfortunately that's not the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

My guess is the alsa-driver-module update fixed your sound, then you updated your kernel and there is not yet a module update for it. You could try the alsa-upgrade link in my sig or maybe try booting into the previous kernel that worked.

Beans

Thank you! The script worked and I now have sound! You are awesome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by ishu161 View Post
    Thank you! The script worked and I now have sound! You are awesome!
    Good deal. Could you mark the thread solved using 'Thread Tools' up top please?