Thread: Wireless is Disabled by Hardware - Ubuntu 11.10

Beans

Wireless is Disabled by Hardware - Ubuntu 11.10

I am running Ubuntu 11.10 on a Lenovo G560 and my wireless was disabled when I hibernated my machine.I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for days now. It seems a number of people have experienced it, but unfortunately, I have been unable to find a viable solution.

scap@scap-lenovo-g560:~$ rfkill list
    0: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: yes
    1: phy0: Wireless LAN
    2: phy1: Wireless LAN
    Hard blocked: no
    scap@scap-lenovo-g560:~$

lspci command
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
    04:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

I even thought there was a problem with the card and so I went and bought a USB wireless adapter, but it too is disabled. Could someone kindly help me understand why this might be happening and possibly help with a solution as well?

Beans

Re: Wireless is Disabled by Hardware - Ubuntu 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by phiri View Post
    I am running Ubuntu 11.10 on a Lenovo G560 and my wireless was disabled when I hibernated my machine.I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for days now. It seems a number of people have experienced it, but unfortunately, I have been unable to find a viable solution.

scap@scap-lenovo-g560:~$ rfkill list
    0: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
    1: phy0: Wireless LAN
    2: phy1: Wireless LAN
    Hard blocked: no
    scap@scap-lenovo-g560:~$

lspci command
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
    04:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

I even thought there was a problem with the card and so I went and bought a USB wireless adapter, but it too is disabled. Could someone kindly help me understand why this might be happening and possibly help with a solution as well?
    Well now I feel sheepish I just discovered there's a hidden switch somewhere on the bottom of the machine; flipping it solves everything.