Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HOWTO: BIOS Upgrade on DELL Computers WITHOUT a WINDOWS Install

Beans

Re: HOWTO: BIOS Upgrade on DELL Computers WITHOUT a WINDOWS Install

Hi, followed this and got to part 10, but when I searched A and B did not have my file with bios update WS380A09.EXE on it but if I look at the USB contents on windows its there, but not in the boot up at stage 10. What am I doing wrong please. Andy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mackow View Post
    Hi, followed this and got to part 10, but when I searched A and B did not have my file with bios update WS380A09.EXE on it but if I look at the USB contents on windows its there, but not in the boot up at stage 10. What am I doing wrong please. Andy

It's on C:

Type "C:\"

then "dir"

you should then see it.
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans

An x86 (32-bit) winpe boot *did* work, so I was able to successfully load the A07 bios.

The two features of this bios are supposed to be better (less overly aggressive) fan operation (I suppose that's going to depend on cpu scaling, and gpu driver/setup, as well), and better USB 3.0 performance. I can't really comment on the latter - since I never benchmarked that. On the former: I don't notice much difference.

Beans

I confirm that this solution works. Tested on Dell Vostro 3360, upgrade from A08 to A13.

Divergences from procedure:
    - default unetbootin downloaded from sf does not work on amd64 system, I've built my own unetbootin from source.
    - USB dongle with FreeDOS WON'T BOOT IN UEFI MODE, remember to switch to Legacy BIOS.
    - I've run FreeDOS without HIMEM or other drivers, pendrive appeared as drive C:
    - After executing 3360A13.exe computer works for over a minute, then reboots, re-flashes BIOS, and reboot once more.
    - If you're using UEFI booting system, its a good opportunity to switch back to this mode.

Beans

Using unetbootin with freedos to update a Dell Vostro to bios version 1.0.16 I got the message "Insufficient memory".
    I found that if I boot freedos with himem, it works. The bios update utility ran without error and the bios was properly updated.
    If I booted freedos with any other option or combination of options other than just himem, it did not work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the awesome sticky. This helped me a lot!
    That's the kind of society I want to build. I want a guarantee -- with physics and mathematics, not with laws -- that we can give ourselves real privacy of personal communications. - John Gilmore

Beans

Hi friend,I need your help. I can do everything you post, but when the updating is starting it tells me that I need the battery charged. and i have no battery it is broken an I always use my laptop plugged in. how can I solve this problem???
    thnaks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by maxirodriguezsola View Post
    Hi friend,I need your help. I can do everything you post, but when the updating is starting it tells me that I need the battery charged. and i have no battery it is broken an I always use my laptop plugged in. how can I solve this problem???
    thnaks!!
    Can you borrow a battery?
    Linux Registered User #434330

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123