Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nursing Multiple Installs can lead to Wrong assumptions:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Nursing Multiple Installs can lead to Wrong assumptions:

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Your kernel is marked tainted because you are using a closed source driver. If you study dmesg, it will tell you what driver is causing the tainted message.

In my case, it's the Nvidia driver:

Thank you so much for sharing this code with me (and your diagnosis). In the case of the Dell, I could not even get past installing the kernel (from the alpha 2 USB) so it was impossible for me to run dmesg. There was a few times when it made a run on verbose code and I noticed those 'tainted' messages.

Why then is Precise using tainted (closed source) drivers? Does this happen during install of we pick (Install thridparty software)?
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing this code with me (and your diagnosis). In the case of the Dell, I could not even get past installing the kernel (from the alpha 2 USB) so it was impossible for me to run dmesg. There was a few times when it made a run on verbose code and I noticed those 'tainted' messages.

Why then is Precise using tainted (closed source) drivers? Does this happen during install of we pick (Install thridparty software)?
    Yes it does, the option should install the closed source graphics driver, That may be why your install is failing, try it without installing third-party software. For the extra amount of time it takes, you can always install third-party software while you are installing the rest of the applications you normally install

Beans
    Distro

Your kernel is marked tainted because you are using a closed source driver. If you study dmesg, it will tell you what driver is causing the tainted message.

In my case, it's the Nvidia driver:

I have the same on my Intel tower:

Code:
    dale@dale:~$ dmesg | grep nvidia
    [   21.872099] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    [   23.372276] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
    [   23.372300] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

Yes it does, the option should install the closed source graphics driver, That may be why your install is failing, try it without installing third-party software. For the extra amount of time it takes, you can always install third-party software while you are installing the rest of the applications you normally install
    I try this later.

Also , note, that the Precise version I had on the Dell Opti was a Development Release of Precise from a stable release of Oneiric, however, you are correct about the install procedure.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards, Ventrical
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

Just an update on a Precise install that I started during Precise alpha 1 (toolchain) . It was working great for a while.. even was able to run Neverball (which is 3D graphics and Brutal Chess) . This was on an old SOYO MoBo with a 600MHz Intel Celeron riser, just over 512MBs of SDRAM, and ATI RagePro 128 32 MBs RAM. I updated lastnight and the system crashed totally. I tired to install Precise beta1 with PLOP bootloader and no go.

*note*

Precise does work with Gnome (no effects) and Unity 2D but none of the 3D games can be played (like GL Billards) as they were with Oneiric Ocelot or earlier versions of Ubuntu. I am assuming that Unity is pulling a lot of resources and will not patch into older AGP cards. Xubuntu and Lubuntu work fairly , but still , no 3D graphicals. The BIOS was AMI 1999. Still it is amazing that Precise will work with Unity 2D fairly well on such an old machine.
    Last edited by ventrical; March 29th, 2012 at 06:25 AM.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

I will be retiring an older Intel 600MHz machine with ATI Rage Pro 128. The latest desktop builds will not even work with it now but an alternate build of Lubuntu did install seamlessly, however, there was no way to get the older 3D graphical games going as with the fresh beta1 release of Ubuntu Precise. A major graphical feature has been obsoleted for the sake of some other process or that it was deemed too much of a 'fossil' on the hardware list.

So my notes are that there is always Lucid to fall back on for older machines. It's a win- win situtation for now . If one updates their Lucid install very carefully , that install could last for the next 5 years, so the older machines can still be of good use as utility work places. Unity 2D works exceptionally well but no eye candy for Jack and Jill
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I will be retiring an older Intel 600MHz machine with ATI Rage Pro 128. The latest desktop builds will not even work with it now but an alternate build of Lubuntu did install seamlessly, however, there was no way to get the older 3D graphical games going as with the fresh beta1 release of Ubuntu Precise. A major graphical feature has been obsoleted for the sake of some other process or that it was deemed too much of a 'fossil' on the hardware list.

So my notes are that there is always Lucid to fall back on for older machines. It's a win- win situtation for now . If one updates their Lucid install very carefully , that install could last for the next 5 years, so the older machines can still be of good use as utility work places. Unity 2D works exceptionally well but no eye candy for Jack and Jill
    You can always re-purpose that old system to do something else beside run a desktop. I have a PPC G4 Apple system with one of the best looking cases ever built by an OEM, that runs Debian stable with no gui. Every time I go into my shop I press the power button, and with a couple of minutes I have music playing through an even older Kenwood receiver. I don't do any maintenance to the system because it just works. I turn it on, it plays music, I ssh in to it to shut it down, and it's been running like that for a couple of years.

Beans
    Distro

You can always re-purpose that old system to do something else beside run a desktop. I have a PPC G4 Apple system with one of the best looking cases ever built by an OEM, that runs Debian stable with no gui. Every time I go into my shop I press the power button, and with a couple of minutes I have music playing through an even older Kenwood receiver. I don't do any maintenance to the system because it just works. I turn it on, it plays music, I ssh in to it to shut it down, and it's been running like that for a couple of years.

Thats a great story. Thanks for that . I have an old Pioneer receiver/amp in the basement. I may give it a try. I'm not throwing this machine out .. just retiring it from Beta testing Precise. I have bigger and faster PC towers that are begging to take it's place and so goes progress and providence.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

...but an alternate build of Lubuntu did install seamlessly...
    If you mean that the alternate installer worked OK because it requires less ram, then there is actually a way to install Lubuntu onto a machine with (say) 128kb RAM using the standard Lubuntu LiveCD.

As you know Lubuntu is fine with only 128Kb, but the installer on the LiveCD is not.

This trick was suggested by someone back when Lubuntu Alternate CD's were only on the wish list. It's very simple - just use Gparted, for example the Gparted LiveCD, to partition the hard drive on the machine first and set up a swap partition. You can then boot the Lubuntu LiveCD and we found at that time that it would find and use the swap partition and was able to run the installer correctly. Slow, but worked a treat.

As far as I know, this should work with all other *buntu releases as well.

Chris

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    If you mean that the alternate installer worked OK because it requires less ram, then there is actually a way to install Lubuntu onto a machine with (say) 128kb RAM using the standard Lubuntu LiveCD.

As you know Lubuntu is fine with only 128Kb, but the installer on the LiveCD is not.

This trick was suggested by someone back when Lubuntu Alternate CD's were only on the wish list. It's very simple - just use Gparted, for example the Gparted LiveCD, to partition the hard drive on the machine first and set up a swap partition. You can then boot the Lubuntu LiveCD and we found at that time that it would find and use the swap partition and was able to run the installer correctly. Slow, but worked a treat.

As far as I know, this should work with all other *buntu releases as well.

Chris
    The machine in question had over 512 MB of SDRAM. Ubiquity kept crashing with the Lubuntu Desktop Install (these were tests I was trying to report yesterday- I was actually able to report one crash).. but it worked OK with the alternate install.

Here is the bug report , just in case somebody may think I am slacking off

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/966603

And so as with Precise Beta1 Live Install with 3.2.0-17 kernel on that same machine , all those 3D games like Neverball, Neverputt .. etc.. were working great until I sudo apt-get upgrade (ed) !!

Then , with the latest pre-beta2 testing with Ubuntu Unity 2D 3.2.0-20 ... those games will not work with 3D...games

I do have a working install on that machine from 3.2.0-17 and upgraded to 3.2.0-20 but no 3Dgames and Ubuntu pre beta2 (yesterday) behaved the same way as Lubuntu Live CD did.

And so I tried to report all of that , test it on the tracker and all the time I was testing I was not even logged in (or so my e-mail tells me).

Mabey I'll fair better next time.
    Last edited by ventrical; March 29th, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
    This is Rolling Release

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast