Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nursing Multiple Installs can lead to Wrong assumptions:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Nursing Multiple Installs can lead to Wrong assumptions:

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Thanks for your encouragement!! That helps a great deal. I purchased a KVM box that allows me to have 4 different PCs connected to one monitor, have them all running at the same time and I can switch back and forth from different states of Precise and with different video cards.

Might as well jump all the way in

Does your KVM switch pass the monitor EDID data through to the computer? I also run a KVM which blocks the EDID data which means that Xorg cannot autodetect the monitor. Some xorg.conf magic is required to get reasonable resolution and refresh rates.

I've run this KVM pretty well from the time I started using Ubuntu, since I needed my Windows production machine at the time for work. These days Windoze is gone, but the switch lives on as it lets me switch between my production machine the testing machine with three different partitions.

Interestingly, the way I had to write xorg.conf changed drastically with the change to 11.04 Natty. Where previously it was very simple, Natty broke this system and required a lot more work to figure out.

Simple is deceptive though. It took me weeks to figure it out as an Ubuntu Noob, but only a day to figure out the new settings required for Natty.

Chris.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Does your KVM switch pass the monitor EDID data through to the computer? I also run a KVM which blocks the EDID data which means that Xorg cannot autodetect the monitor. Some xorg.conf magic is required to get reasonable resolution and refresh rates.

I've run this KVM pretty well from the time I started using Ubuntu, since I needed my Windows production machine at the time for work. These days Windoze is gone, but the switch lives on as it lets me switch between my production machine the testing machine with three different partitions.

Interestingly, the way I had to write xorg.conf changed drastically with the change to 11.04 Natty. Where previously it was very simple, Natty broke this system and required a lot more work to figure out.

Simple is deceptive though. It took me weeks to figure it out as an Ubuntu Noob, but only a day to figure out the new settings required for Natty.

Chris.

All four of my machines attached to the KVM work exceptionally well in talking with my Veiwsonic Widescreen (19"). There was only one problem with the Dell Optiplex GX270, when the screen blanked it would not wake with mouse of keyboard activity so I just set the settings in powerdown monitor to NEVER and with that install also have Lubuntu Desktop (Precise) and it will wake from keyboard. All other machines, no problem. My KVM is 4 ports. I have a 2,8GHz, 2.6GHz 2.2GHZ and 600MHZ processors running respectively with NVidia and Ati graphics cards .. so I get all kinds of different behaviour at different stages. My other machines are 2.8GHz Intel tower (home built) , 2 Acer laptops (Extensa dual 64X2AMD , an Aspire 3620 and a Dell Insprion B130.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

Chris.
    Yes .. it does block from the monitor from being detected,

But it still works very well without any hassle.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

I just had a run in with a situation where the nVidia driver appeared to be ripped from my system during an update to the 3.2.0-9 kernel . This particular install has had no previous problems with other kernel updates having the nVidia driver neutered. I was surprised because my first assumption was that Unity 3D had been eviscerated from the system. Being I was precisely wrong led me to find the precisely right solution and that was simply to re-install the nVidia driver. But if I were a complete noob then I may be alarmed and assume that there would be something more terribly wrong with my system , especially if it were a release install. Now I have noticed for some time (and I am only really trying to be an assistant here , a helper if you will), that there are some really big problems with the Ubuntus in detecting certain graphics adapter cards and in the way the installer handles the updated installations when new kernels are introduced. There seems to be a grinding of the wheels which are travelling in opposite directions. Yes, it is true that most of these bugs are fixed with terminal codes and other quick fixes but it seems to be systemic at any given time. This then would cause me a security concern because if video drivers can be slapped half bass akwards during kernel updates then what else is being flipped on the lee side of the matrix ? No, I am not crying "noob, noob!!!" I am hoping that I am injecting some constructive critisisms and isn't this what the developers want? Now I also understand that ATi and nVidia are more or less assimilated aspects of each other being both aligned, more or less, to the Borg philology (jk but I would just think that more time and concentration would then go into the precise handling of working the Big Three, ATi . nVidia and Intell video drivers and get these indexes and detections working flawlessly with X because I propound that herein lies the crux, or, the core, of most of the installer and other flatscreen blackspace anomolous installs that seem to plague Ubuntu from time to time. Compared to Unity 3D or Gnome Shell problems , the aforementioned seem to be the biggest offenders. Now , if I am wrong still , then I hope I am precisely wrong in that anticipation that a precisely right sectional framework rebuild will correct these problems.

regards,

ventrical
    Last edited by ventrical; January 17th, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

Chris.
    I was just doing an experiment here. I am having trouble with the graphics on one install with
    VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) and so I just rolled back to the kernel 3.0.0-14 and , voila'
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was just doing an experiment here. I am having trouble with the graphics on one install with
    VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) and so I just rolled back to the kernel 3.0.0-14 and , voila'

I think your KVM switch must be passing EDID data to some extent. On mine I get _no_ monitor recognition and a low res desktop until I fix up xorg.conf.

Chris

Beans
    Distro

I think your KVM switch must be passing EDID data to some extent. On mine I get _no_ monitor recognition and a low res desktop until I fix up xorg.conf.

Chris

Then if this is truely the case , that may explain why I am having problems with the Intel adpater card because ti will come up in low-res if I use Recovery mode from Grub and proceed to boot from there. I can run programs like Brutal Chess 3D in that 800X640 mode but it locks right up in the above posted attatchment mode.

xorg.conf ??? I must confess I need a lesson there.
    Last edited by ventrical; January 18th, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

Again, Ubuntu has baffled me. I have a HP InkJet 4200 Series and I bought one of those little <filler kits> . Well .. you can imagine that I had been tearing my hair out with getting that thing working in Windows XP (and other versions of Ubuntu.)

Just as an **experiment** I wanted to see if Precise would detect the printer when I connected it to the USB port. Of course there was no pop-up , but, I decidd to pring a small .jpg file and it printed with all the colours. Then I went into Printers and , sure enough, there it was, I chose preferences and printed an Ubuntu test page . Work just beautiful. Every day I see people throwing out printers that may be perfectly good , or spending a lot of money on new cartridges. I was just about to toss this one until , now , just after I stuck it into my system.

I often wonder (being that newer HP machines can detect and report GENUINE HP cartridges) if there is a scam in all of this?, if there is a corner on the market - because , really .. there is real money in cartridge sales and Windows/HP is real quick to pop and IE page on the webpage on where to order and buy your new cartridges, So , Ubuntu, thanks again for proving to me that wrong assumptions can lead to further experimentation, saving some of us some extra dollars.

ps .. I would put this in Testimonials, but , since it had only happened on Precise install I posted it here. Thanks. (And now I have a few more printer to try (that won't cough up ink on XP machines)
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

Just following up here on an install that I had been running on a Dell Optiplex GX270,Intell 2.8GHz 1GB ddr. There was no way that I could get Precise to work stable with this system. Even under Unity 2D or Gnome (noeffects) , there was always some kernel error comming up. And also the installer of the alpha 2 Precise will not function correctly and flags the system 'tainted'. It will run Oneiric and earlier versions stable but I think it's days are numbered

I was able to save and salvage a validated Windows XP install and put a clean RC of Oneiric on there. All is well, considering.
    Last edited by ventrical; February 27th, 2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: <sp> changed Lunity to Unity
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just following up here on an install that I had been running on a Dell Optiplex GX270,Intell 2.8GHz 1GB ddr. There was no way that I could get Precise to work stable with this system. Even under Unity 2D or Gnome (noeffects) , there was always some kernel error comming up. And also the installer of the alpha 2 Precise will not function correctly and flags the system 'tainted'. It will run Oneiric and earlier versions stable but I think it's days are numbered

I was able to save and salvage a validated Windows XP install and put a clean RC of Oneiric on there. All is well, considering.
    Your kernel is marked tainted because you are using a closed source driver. If you study dmesg, it will tell you what driver is causing the tainted message.

In my case, it's the Nvidia driver:

dmesg | grep nvidia
    [ 15.505289] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast